The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:30:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Duttons for May/June

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Duttons for May/June  (Read 3005 times)
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2015, 04:38:21 am »

There are a great many items in the pipeline and decisions have yet to be made.
Up for release:  Carpenter's Piano Concertos 1 & 2
                        Henry Hadley Symphonic Poems
                        Braunfels Volume 3
                        Bate Cello Concerto w/Bax Cello Concerto and Symphonic Variations
                        Milford "The Darkling Thrush" w/ Britten & Delius Violin Concertos (why?)
Many more that they won't say.
Also, Robert Still Violin Concerto & Symphony 2 w/Efi Christodoulou on Toccata in the planning stages.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 08:41:54 am »

Eagerly waiting for the Bate Cello Concerto (1953). A pity it's coupled with two times Bax, both well known. Will have to buy it for the sake of Bate alone.
Robin Milford's The Darkling Thrush for violin and orchestra (1929) is another piece to look forward to, again: notwithstanding the couplings. We're still waiting for his Symphony (1933), aren't we?
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
tapiola
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 10:12:14 am »

The Bax Variations is a world premiere of an early piece, not the Symphonic Variations w/piano & orchestra.
Milford Symphony is un-recorded but I think the score  is in bad shape. Could happen though.
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 10:39:06 pm »

Eagerly waiting for the Bate Cello Concerto (1953). A pity it's coupled with two times Bax, both well known. Will have to buy it for the sake of Bate alone.
Robin Milford's The Darkling Thrush for violin and orchestra (1929) is another piece to look forward to, again: notwithstanding the couplings. We're still waiting for his Symphony (1933), aren't we?
Dear Christo
Surely Milford's symphony would be a great improvement
Best
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 07:45:51 am »

The Bax Variations is a world premiere of an early piece, not the Symphonic Variations w/piano & orchestra.
Milford Symphony is un-recorded but I think the score  is in bad shape. Could happen though.

Both great to know! And indeed admirable that Dutton still dares to explore these unknown territories.
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 09:38:42 pm »

Pretty excited about the Bate and Milford and glad to see Dutton looking back in shape again. The recent releases were excellent too. However, I assume "May/June" probably means August or something...
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 11:08:35 pm »

Well said! Even September  :D
They always sound hopeful. It does seem they are getting a little back-logged and may be in more of a rush (for them) to get these releases out.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 02:19:55 am »

I shall not re-hash my views about Dutton recording the Bax Cello Concerto or the Delius and Britten Violin Concertos apart from saying that I cannot see myself buying a disc containing these two violin concertos in order to get the Milford-which cannot be a particularly long piece. I shall buy the Bate Cello Concerto (albeit coupled with the Bax Cello Concerto).

The news about the Robert Still Symphony No.2 and Violin Concerto is actually more exciting from my own very personal perspective. The Still 3rd and 4th Symphonies on Lyrita have always left me keen to hear more of the composer's music.

I do-very sadly and reluctantly-feel that Dutton has rather lost its way but I know that others will be more enthusiastic than I about the company's current direction.
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 03:41:40 am »

All I dare say is that I completely disagree. Dutton will be building up steam.
Dare we say a McCabe symphonic cycle?
Just consider life without them.
Report Spam   Logged
guest251
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 09:27:43 am »

Thanks Tapiola, great news about the J McCabe plans - do you know if they are also going to complete their Butterworth symphonic cycle?
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 09:50:56 am »

The McCabe is in the talking stages only.  Pending funding. His widow will be very involved I think.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 12:06:25 am »

If Dutton do manage a complete McCabe symphonic cycle then I shall very happily retract any adverse comments :)

I DO appreciate how difficult it is to get funding for the projects which I know that-in an ideal world-Dutton would wish to be involved with. If the sales of the Britten/Delius Violin Concertos help to pay for otherwise unrecorded music then I can fully accept the choice pf repertoire.
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 09:06:18 pm »

I believe score and parts are now available from the Milford Trust.
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 08:55:56 am »

Bate/Bax Cello Concertos held back.  :'(

The spring release (prob May/June) is scheduled as:

CDLX  7319 Henry Hadley [American] – orchestral works

CDLX  7320 Britten & Delius Violin Concs + Milford Darkling Thrush (Philippe Graffin, vln)

CDLX 7321 Bortkiewicz Violin Concerto and filler

CDLX 7322 John Alden Carpenter Patterns, Concertino, Krazy Kat, Carmel Concerto

CDLX 7323 Vaughan Williams: Concerto for two pianos and London Sym (1920 version)

CDLX 7324 Braunfels Vol 3

Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 12:44:43 pm »

Thanks for the advance notice of these releases.

I am interested in the Braunfels and the Carpenter and shall probably buy the Hadley cd. The releases of British music leave me pretty indifferent.....but that's just me. My views are on record and I shall not reiterate them :)

The best chances now of getting slightly later British music on disc seem to lie with the Lyrita Itter Broadcast Collection programme. The details of which works will be released in that exciting new project are under wraps :)

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: