The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:49:38 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

You may find this interesting...

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You may find this interesting...  (Read 2341 times)
Ian Moore
Level 3

Times thanked: 20

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2014, 08:19:30 pm »

Do you mean that the audience know that they're getting piano music and prefer it. Conversely, for the other video, they believe that they are getting 'trad' Jazz music and they hate it?
Report Spam   Logged

Revolutions are celebrated when they are no longer dangerous.
-Boulez
ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2014, 09:25:07 pm »

Do you mean that the audience know that they're getting piano music and prefer it. Conversely, for the other video, they believe that they are getting 'trad' Jazz music and they hate it?
On both counts, I am bound to confess to having less than no idea...
Report Spam   Logged
Ian Moore
Level 3

Times thanked: 20

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 05:41:08 am »

It is definitely something worth thinking about.  There must be studies somewhere that would deal with this matter.
Report Spam   Logged

Revolutions are celebrated when they are no longer dangerous.
-Boulez
dyn
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2014, 08:04:32 am »

I find having the score in front of me can be useful when listening, so I would choose that by default, if offered two versions.

Me too. Though I tend to prefer if the score 'scrolls' with the music rather than having only a single page presented, and if a video with score doesn't advance to the next portion of the score in time with the audio I may turn the video off.

(Youtube's sound quality is rarely good enough for me to prefer watching videos there—unless the recording is unavailable at higher bitrates I probably won't bother listening, same with mono recordings if I can find stereo remasterings)
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2014, 09:21:50 am »

Actually in this case it is not the chocolates that are putting people off, it's the flags. In the world of today they are a symbol of evil, injustice and cruelty.

"Chocolates"?  What exactly do you mean Gerard? Could you explain?
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2014, 12:44:15 pm »

Actually in this case it is not the chocolates that are putting people off, it's the flags. In the world of today they are a symbol of evil, injustice and cruelty.

That question's already been asked by Ian Moore himself but answer has come there none; I have to confess that, carefully as I have looked, I remain unable to see any chocolates or indeed other confections in the photograph concerned, so I can only assume that gerard has far better eyesight than you or Ian or myself.
Report Spam   Logged
autoharp
Level 3

Times thanked: 15

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2014, 01:30:09 pm »

That question's already been asked by Ian Moore himself but answer has come there none; I have to confess that, carefully as I have looked, I remain unable to see any chocolates or indeed other confections in the photograph concerned, so I can only assume that gerard has far better eyesight than you or Ian or myself.

I imagine that comrade Gerard is using the word "chocolate" in its old jazz slang meaning of "good-looking male of darker-than-white skin colour". A purely historical reference, you understand: at least, I do.
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2014, 01:55:37 pm »

I imagine that comrade Gerard is using the word "chocolate" in its old jazz slang meaning of "good-looking male of darker-than-white skin colour". A purely historical reference, you understand: at least, I do.
I had feared as much, as you may imagine. I still have no idea what the ensemble is doing there in the first place in the context of the piece and, since I neither fly flags nor care much for chocolate (other than on very rare occasions), I guess that I should move on, really.
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2014, 10:15:26 am »

I had feared as much, as you may imagine. I still have no idea what the ensemble is doing there in the first place in the context of the piece and, since I neither fly flags nor care much for chocolate (other than on very rare occasions), I guess that I should move on, really.

Gerard, you need to address this. It is clear that people on here are very worried by what you meant, and if this is not addressed or clarified, we would feel tainted by association.
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2014, 11:46:52 am »

Gerard, you need to address this. It is clear that people on here are very worried by what you meant, and if this is not addressed or clarified, we would feel tainted by association.
Since he's not done so in almost four days, I wouldn't hold your breath...
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2014, 12:19:56 pm »

Since he's not done so in almost four days, I wouldn't hold your breath...

I think you are right sadly.  Will report to moderator.  We can't afford for this wonderful forum, and its members, to risk possible association with offensive, as opposed to controversial, views. He's had an opportunity to clarify and hasn't done so.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: