The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:26:01 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Take a guess

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Take a guess  (Read 329 times)
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2015, 02:50:25 am »

The post says:
"The final movement from a great symphony I really like......Amazing he was in his 20´s when this work was composed."

I have no idea what it is but it is indeed lovely..I'm guessing Italian...maybe

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 11:51:10 am »

The background photographs of Estonia are presumably some kind of clue :))
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 06:10:22 pm »

Kaljo Raid, First Symphony from 1944. An epic work and a real discovery when Neeme Järvi introduced it somewhere around 1990 on the first of his two 'Music from Estonia' CDs on the Chandos label. I was happy enough to meet a Canadian friend of him in Estonia in 1994 who was certainly willing to bring him my greetings and tell about some of my musical friends' - and my own - admiration for his work (the Second Symphony also appeared on CD around that time).

See http://www.musiccentre.ca/node/37552/biography
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 10:03:46 pm »

Kaljo Raid, First Symphony from 1944. An epic work and a real discovery when Neeme Järvi introduced it somewhere around 1990 on the first of his two 'Music from Estonia' CDs on the Chandos label. I was happy enough to meet a Canadian friend of him in Estonia in 1994 who was certainly willing to bring him my greetings and tell about some of my musical friends' - and my own - admiration for his work (the Second Symphony also appeared on CD around that time).

See http://www.musiccentre.ca/node/37552/biography
Thanks for nailing this one!!
Raid's music is in very short supply and what I have heard is quite memorable.
I think I heard this long ago and it had the subtitle of the "Stockholm" symphony (written when he lived there)if memory serves me right.
Apparently he was not a prolific composer.
http://www.musiccentre.ca/node/37552/complete_holdings
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 08:34:12 pm »

The 'Stockholm' is the Second, written after after his escape to Sweden in 1944 and first phase of his exile; he would later settle in Toronto. I haven't played it in years but it's rather different in style compared to the First. BTW, I also found these Three Spiritual Songs for String Orchestra on Youtube:
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 01:56:51 am »

The 'Stockholm' is the Second, written after after his escape to Sweden in 1944 and first phase of his exile; he would later settle in Toronto. I haven't played it in years but it's rather different in style compared to the First. BTW, I also found these Three Spiritual Songs for String Orchestra on Youtube:

Thanks for passing the Songs for Orchestra along..I'm anxious to hear it.
Thanks for the correction, yes they are quite different..the 2nd is quite dreary by comparison..
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 03:34:23 am »

Thanks for finding these...
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 03:50:19 pm »

I am going to Tallinn this evening for a week, will look out for these!
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 10:40:13 pm »

I am going to Tallinn this evening for a week, will look out for these!
please look for some Ester Magi while you are there.
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 07:41:38 am »

Is the Muusikaäri Music Store, Nunne 1 in Tallinn, still there? Bought my books (produced in Soviet times) on Estonian composers and also some CDs there, in the early ninetees. Saw it growing from about ten CDs to hundreds of them, but haven't been there since 1998.  :(
Report Spam   Logged

guest224
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 05:09:11 pm »

Is the Muusikaäri Music Store, Nunne 1 in Tallinn, still there? Bought my books (produced in Soviet times) on Estonian composers and also some CDs there, in the early ninetees. Saw it growing from about ten CDs to hundreds of them, but haven't been there since 1998.  :(

Yes it is still there - I walked past it 30 minutes ago.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: