The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:15:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Sketch for orchestra - Ian Moore

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sketch for orchestra - Ian Moore  (Read 1025 times)
Ian Moore
Level 3

Times thanked: 20

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2015, 09:50:55 am »

Sketch is a very short composition written for the WES Orchestra. It is a draft idea for a larger piece entitled "Narcissistic".  As always, I would like to receive comments about the music, please.

Report Spam   Logged

Revolutions are celebrated when they are no longer dangerous.
-Boulez

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest2
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 11:13:47 am »

Thank you Mr. Moore for posting this Sketch for orchestra. I have listened to it once already, and will listen again more carefully later this evening in bed a number of times. It is good to see and hear you now writing for orchestra! There are already a few questions: 1) what do you think about the concept "harmony"? Should it be a) controlled or b) an essentially random outcome of other, more important, musical factors? 2) Is there some principle you can tell us about that (for you) determines the way the form of a piece develops? And 3) what do the letters WES stand for? Is it this West European Symphony? http://www.wesorchestra.com/

Report Spam   Logged
Ian Moore
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 01:51:34 pm »

what do you think about the concept "harmony"? Should it be a) controlled or b) an essentially random outcome of other, more important, musical factors?
The concept of harmony is something that I can not reply on a forum site very easily.  However, I can best reply by saying it is something personal.  The only composer I know of who didn't break the 'so called' rules of harmony is Palestrina. Inspired composers never follow rules; they create them.  If composers don't create their own rules of harmony, they won't sound individual.
Is there some principle you can tell us about that (for you) determines the way the form of a piece develops?
The form of the piece is 'free flowing'.  This is mainly due to time constraints.  The music took three days to complete from start to finish.  There was no time to organise the structure of the music; what was in my head went straight onto paper(usually hand written before computer copied).
what do the letters WES stand for? Is it this West European Symphony? http://www.wesorchestra.com/
Yes, it stands for West European Symphony Orchestra.
Report Spam   Logged

-Boulez
Bobyor
Level 2

Times thanked: 16

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 07:56:08 pm »

As regards the harmony of this piece, I find it quite self-contained, in a good way, suggesting the start of something bigger (as you in fact suggest in your description). The same chords, as far as my ear tells me, reappear and are transposed and inverted, with the scoring bringing different emphases -- there is a lovely F sharp major moment about half way in, when such a triad is brought out of the texture.
Report Spam   Logged
Ian Moore
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 08:38:23 pm »

there is a lovely F sharp major moment about half way in, when such a triad is brought out of the texture.
What you say I find fascinating but as I said before it is all subconscious - I wrote what I heard in my head and no other consideration influenced the composition.
Report Spam   Logged

-Boulez
Ian Moore
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 09:16:56 am »

Anybody want to talk abut the orchestration? Funny, I thought people would be interested in this one.
Report Spam   Logged

-Boulez
Ian Moore
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 02:57:04 pm »

I feel like I am talking to myself!
Report Spam   Logged

-Boulez
Ian Moore
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 10:07:15 pm »

What a shame - I think I am.
Report Spam   Logged

-Boulez

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: