The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:22:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Maestro Paavo Järvi talks Paris, Estonia, Russia and music with Estonian World

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maestro Paavo Järvi talks Paris, Estonia, Russia and music with Estonian World  (Read 267 times)
guest377
« on: January 14, 2015, 08:53:58 pm »

http://estonianworld.com/culture/maestro-paavo-jarvi-talks-paris-estonia-russia-music-estonian-world/

On the eve of conducting the opening concerts of the new Philharmonie de Paris, Maestro Paavo Järvi found time to speak to Estonian World about the new hall in Paris, as well as Estonia, Russia, and music.

As Music Director of the Orchestre de Paris, one of the main resident ensembles, renowned Estonian conductor Paavo Järvi conducts the opening gala concert at the brand new Philharmonie de Paris building in France.

Celebrations begin with the inaugural gala concert on 14 January, when Järvi and the Orchestre de Paris are joined by soloists Hélène Grimaud, Renaud Capuçon and Matthias Goerne. Commissioned especially for this opening, the programme includes the world premiere of French composer Escaich’s Concerto for Orchestre. The long-awaited new concert hall in Paris, designed by the award-winning French architect, Jean Nouvel, will be inaugurated by French President François Hollande.

SEE LINK ABOVE FOR REST OF STORY
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest377
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 09:33:29 pm »

interesting comment about the brass playing in Russian orchestras....  I've always thought they were somewhat brash esp. the USSR State Sym Orchestra:

Paavo's remarks from the article:

"I must say that the type of brass playing I heard in Russian national orchestra was excellent. They didn’t have this abrasive, typical Russian brass sound that you would hear from old soviet recordings or even Stravinsky recordings, anymore. But there is still an edge that makes for a very distinct colour of sound and I like it, specifically in the music they specialize in."
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 10:00:07 am »

interesting comment about the brass playing in Russian orchestras....  I've always thought they were somewhat brash esp. the USSR State Sym Orchestra:

I believe he is referring to the brass sections of contemporary Russian orchestras he works with.  In fact he specifically names the Russian National Orchestra - an orchestra which only came into existence after the implosion of the Soviet Union. (My wife has worked with them as a vocal soloist in Russia, and at the Edinburgh Festival - they are indeed a very good orchestra).  The article also mentions the high quality of the current Mariinsky Theatre orchestra, which whom Järvi also has direct experience.  He has nothing but praise for the string playing, which he acknowledges is the finest in the world.

The "USSR State Sym Orchestra" ceased to exist some decades ago, along with the USSR itself ;)  Whether their brass playing 'brash' or not, is now of no consquence.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 02:35:29 pm »

Thanks Neil for your insight!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: