The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:12:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

A Symphonies Game

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Symphonies Game  (Read 5716 times)
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2015, 08:08:49 am »

Choosing a Second appears to be the hardest, since I cannot think of too many great Seconds, for some reason. From 5 or 6 on it's getting easier, because there's less competition. Especially from about No. 32 on things tend to go smoother. :-). A first attempt (well, let's make two, with only my favourite composer appearing twice):

Brian 1
Vermeulen 2
Bate 3
Braga Santos 4
Nielsen 5
Tubin 6
Kinsella 7
Holmboe 8
Vaughan Williams 9

Goossens 1
Orthel 2
Guarnieri 3
Honegger 4
Arnold 5
Vaughan Williams 6
Mahler 7
Shostakovich 8
Simpson 9
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
albert
Level 3

Times thanked: 6

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2015, 12:18:46 pm »

My favourite Symphony n.0 is Bruckner (even if actually it was his third).
My favourite Symphony n.00 is again Bruckner's.
Report Spam   Logged
autoharp
Level 3

Times thanked: 15

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2015, 06:50:01 pm »

Off the top of my head

1 - Brian
2 - Vermeulen/Prokofiev
3 - Szymanowski
4 - Ives
5 - Honegger
6 - Mahler
7 - Beethoven
8 -
9 - Vaughan Williams

ters
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2015, 11:21:41 am »

Nothing wrong with the top of your head! Great choices.  :)
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2015, 12:10:44 pm »

I'm breaking the rules!!
With games like this, rules were made to be broken. Those are three fine lists, cilgwyn! They illustrate the incredible richness we have to choose from in art music. I'll have to look into Daniel Jones and Tournemire, neither of whom I know except by name.
I should start with the Marco Polo cd of 3 & 8 if you do. I think they are marvelous symphonies. The performances are reasonably good by the standards of the series,which were generally pretty dire;although not as bad as the Plovdiv Louis Glass thank goodness!! There are superior performances on the Auvidis Valois label,but they may be expensive? (Phew! Just looked on Amazon.Yes,they are!!) Start with the Marco Polo 3 & 8,I would!
As to Don Gillis. I don't want to appear snooty! I actually think the Star Spangled Symphony and the Dance Symphony with it's 'juke box rhythms are great fun when I'm in the right mood!
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2015, 01:07:42 pm »

A cycle of your favourite symphonic cycles, would'n that solve some of the scarcity problem? My own cycle of cycles would have to choose between:

1. Ludvig Irgens Jensen / Arthur Benjamin / Alf Hurum / Zoltán Kodály  (= my favourite composers of one symphony only)
2. Eugene Goossens / Samuel Barber / Ernest John Moeran / Arthur Bliss / Henri Dutilleux / William Walton (= composers of two symphonies, &c.)
3. Levi Madetoja / Douglas Lilburn / Alan Rawsthorne / Igor Stravinsky / Reinhold Glière / Cecil Armstrong Gibbs / Willem Pijper / Pēteris Vasks / Henryk Górecki
4. Lennox Berkeley / Hendrik Andriessen / Stanley Bate / Franz Schmidt / Michael Tippett / Karol Szymanowski / Witold Lutosławski / Albert Roussel / Kaljo Raid
5. Arthur Honegger / Herman Koppel / Ruth Gipps / Ahmet Adnan Saygun / William Alwyn / William Grant Still / Joonas Kokkonen / Osvaldas Balakauskas / Camille Saint-Saëns
6. Joly Braga Santos / Carl Nielsen / Arnold Cooke / Léon Orthel / Erkki Melartin / Bohuslav Martinů / Gösta Nystroem / Lepo Sumera
7. Camargo Guarnieri / Richard Arnell / Matthijs Vermeulen / Pyotr Ilich Tchaikovsky / Johan Willem Wilms
8. Einar Englund / Aulis Sallinen / Hilding Rosenberg / Einojuhani Rautavaara / Walter Piston / Benjamin Frankel / Charles Tournemire
9. Ralph Vaughan Willams / Malcolm Arnold / Ludwig van Beethoven / Harald Sæverud / Kurt Atterberg / Antonín Dvořák / Peter Mennin

10. Eduard Tubin / John Kinsella / Gustav Mahler / William Schuman /  Andrzej Panufnik / Alun Hoddinott
11. Edmund Rubbra / Anton Bruckner / Robert Simpson / David Diamond
12. Heitor Villa-Lobos / Alexander Moyzes / Wilfred Josephs
13. Vagn Holmboe
14. Cláudio Santoro
15. Dmitri Shostakovich / Arthur Meulemans / Henk Badings / Kalevi Aho
16. Rued Langgaard
17. Alan Petterson
20. Mieczyslaw Weinberg
21. Jānis Ivanovs
24. Julius Röntgen
27. Nikolai Myaskovsky
32. Havergal Brian
41. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
67. Alan Hovhaness
95. Derek Bourgeois
106. Joseph Haydn
285. Leif Segerstam
Report Spam   Logged

mjkFendrich
Level 3

Times thanked: 17

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2015, 08:48:59 pm »

@Christo:

I can't remember having ever seen a recording of Camargo Guarnieri's 7th (but have noticed that it seems to exist).
Could you tell me some more details about it?
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2015, 07:51:32 am »

@Christo:

I can't remember having ever seen a recording of Camargo Guarnieri's 7th (but have noticed that it seems to exist).
Could you tell me some more details about it?

Correct: AFAIK it has never been recorded. My list is about complete cycles, not individual symphonies. And I admire the other six.
Report Spam   Logged

Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2015, 06:50:19 pm »

I'm not sure that one should count unnumbered symphonies in cycles. Would you allow a cycle by Stravinsky, for instance? It is safe to say that Bruckner wrote nine symphonies plus two outside the cycle. There are other composers who have juvenilia usually not counted, also.

I would also be inclined to discount composers who just attach the title "symphony" to any old piece, whether it resembles a symphony or not.
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2015, 11:40:49 pm »

How about being allowed to do 1-9 and then one unnumbered one. There's the Manfred Symphony, any of Britten's, Arnold's Toy/Strings/Brass ones, Brian's Fantastic (though I don't think you could have that as only part survives)...
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2015, 09:43:25 pm »

How about being allowed to do 1-9 and then one unnumbered one. There's the Manfred Symphony, any of Britten's, Arnold's Toy/Strings/Brass ones, Brian's Fantastic (though I don't think you could have that as only part survives)...

Or Liszt's "Symphony To Dante's Divine Comedy". Perhaps only Liszt would really recognise it as a 'symphony'? 
But what a fine work it is, in its own peculiar way :)  Anticipates PARSIFAL by nearly 40 years - and of course it was dedicated to Wagner, and Liszt even played the sketches to Der Meister.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
Level 2

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2017, 07:33:32 pm »

Elgar 1
Rachmaninoff 2
Saint-Saens 3
Braga Santos 4
Atterberg 5
Vaughan Williams 6
Sibelius 7
Dvorak 8
Mahler 9
Shostakovich 10

...and an alternate list, 'cause why not?:

Martinu 1
Hanson 2
Honegger 3
Schmidt 4
Arnold 5
Bax 6
Beethoven 7
Glazunov 8
Bruckner 9
Holmboe 10

It really pained me to leave out Brahms and Nielsen (amongst others), but the competition is just too stiff :(
Report Spam   Logged
Ilja
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2018, 06:59:18 pm »

I just discovered this forum, so here goes:
Only - Von Hausegger (disregarding Barbarossa, which really should be termed a symphony as well. But allow me this loophole please).

1 - Furtwängler or
2 - Weingartner
3 - Langgaard
4 - Braga Santos
5 - Sibelius (the 1915 version)
6 - Tournemire
7 - Hamerik
8 - Rautavaara
9 - Von Klenau
10 - None
11 - Raff

Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2018, 07:41:12 pm »

I just discovered this forum, so here goes:
Only - Von Hausegger (disregarding Barbarossa, which really should be termed a symphony as well. But allow me this loophole please).

1 - Furtwängler or
2 - Weingartner
3 - Langgaard
4 - Braga Santos
5 - Sibelius (the 1915 version)
6 - Tournemire
7 - Hamerik
8 - Rautavaara
9 - Von Klenau
10 - None
11 - Raff
Great cycle! We seem to be sharing an admiration for the Hausegger, Braga Santos, Tournemire, and perhaps Klenau 9 (just bought it, not sure yet). As for a No. 10: why not Shostakovich, Holmboe, Tubin, Rubbra, Badings, Brian?  ::) :D
Report Spam   Logged

Ilja
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2018, 07:12:51 pm »

Great cycle! We seem to be sharing an admiration for the Hausegger, Braga Santos, Tournemire, and perhaps Klenau 9 (just bought it, not sure yet). As for a No. 10: why not Shostakovich, Holmboe, Tubin, Rubbra, Badings, Brian?  ::) :D

Thank you. If you'd really press me I'd nominate, Holmboe's 10th, but I like none of them. Brian and Bading are just not my thing, Shostakovich I actively dislike, and Rubbra I don't know yet but I WILL give it a go.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: