The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:12:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

A Symphonies Game

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Symphonies Game  (Read 5735 times)
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2015, 08:59:07 am »

I think the rule was not to use the same composer twice? Otherwise I might have had Bruckner for #7.

I probably mentioned before my friend who amassed a collection of third symphonies, on the grounds that it took most composers three to get into their stride, and some tailed off (or stopped) after number three.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2015, 02:43:02 pm »

1.Roussel
2.Rimsky Korsakov
3. Brian
4.Beethoven
5.Vaughan Williams
6.Arnold
7.Sibelius
8.Daniel Jones
9.Dvorak

1.Brahms
2.Bax
3. Parry
4. Mahler
5.Spohr
6.Martinu
7.Beethoven
8.Tournemire
9.Vaughan Williams

1.Bax
2.Grant Still
3.Franz Schmidt
4.Honegger
5.Mahler
6.Piston
7.Vaughan Williams
8.Dvorak
9.Beethoven

Awful having to choose from so many symphonies by composers I like,and by choosing only by each having to miss out ones I particularly like. I'll need another go to fit in Mennin,Schuman,Piston,Tchaikovsky,Mathias,Barber,amongst others! :( It does force you to think,though! The Rimsky Korsakov is more of a suite,I know;but it's pure escapist gold!! And Grant Still instead of Piston 2? But the Grant Still is a lovely,soulful underrated work and I wanted to fit it in. I could go on;but luckily for you I won't! ;D And the Moeran symphony? A big favourite here!!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2015, 07:38:16 pm »

Too many I fear? I'm breaking the rules!! :(
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2015, 10:45:09 am »

Too many I fear? I'm breaking the rules!! :(

It's why I dislike lists :))  Except for a very few intellectually-limited individuals, our minds don't function like that. We are constantly developing and reconsidering our ideas. 

For example, right at the moment I would be very ready to pop Dvorak #5 in at the No 5 spot.  But then I'd have two Dvoraks?  So I'd have to replace the other...  and in fact the whole "list" gets rewritten as a result :)) 
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2015, 11:51:24 am »

And the reluctance to exclude composers I get allot of pleasure from! So where can I fit Spohr? He's not a particularly deep composer,but I think his orchestration (at it's best) is gorgeous. No's 7 & 8 I find athletic and bracing,they cheer me up! But now I've got to leave Beethoven out! Spohr instead of Beethoven? He would have been up there himself once,of course! And late last night I started listening through Mahler's symphonies again. I really do like Roussel's No1.But instead of Mahler !?!! I like both,but........!!!!!
Tournemire got in mainly because I was struggling to come up with another no 8! For some reason,apart from the Dvorak and Daniel Jones,I don't really have any real favourites with that number. I do like the Vaughan Williams,but I don't think it's the most consistent of the cycle,although it has some very striking ideas. I bought the Haitink recording of 8 & 9 recently,which may change my mind?! The Tournemire is  consistent in it's invention,however,so in it went! Rather impressive. Strange music! His Seventh is seriously wierd,but I'm not sure if it hangs together. His Sixth is imho a knockout! But then I'd have to boot out Arnold and Piston! Confession time! I don't play the Tournemire that much to really justify including it! A job for Timpani,though! (Although as far as I can make out they're uninterested. I hope I'm wrong!)

But having to leave out Mahler 2,3 & 6!!! All the other Beethoven symphonies! Bax's third and fifth?! And then there are lesser symphonies that seem to suddenly grab you for some apparent reason,justified or not,and become a sort of 'flavour of the month'! I recently got hold of a s/h musicassette of George Lloyd's Seventh,which has been the subject of some discussion at the GMG,recently. Not sure if I'd want to dump Sibelius,Beethoven or VW in favour of George Lloyd (or that I should?!) but I DO rather like this one at the moment!

No Don Gillis symphonies I'm afraid!! ;D

I was also tempted to include a Rued Langgaard! No 9 "From Queen Dagmar's City",believe it or not?! I think this is an absolute peach of a symphony. Although it's more of a suite. If it hadn't been for Dvorak,Beethoven and VW it might actually have got in! Funny how such a screwed up miserable man could produce music as lovely,happy and carefree as this. No 3 is another example. His escape from a personal hell,I suppose?!

I bought the BIS Tubin and Holmboe cycle a few months ago,but I haven't yet got to the stage where I would feel I have to include one. Maybe No 2,which I have known (along with No 6) for years,via a still functional 25 year old cassette tape!

I wonder what Dundonnell and kyjo would have chosen?!!

Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2015, 12:59:16 pm »

Thanks for reminding us of Spohr!  And I'm not sure that he lacks depth?  Symphony No 7, "The Earthly & The Divine In Human Life" has depth a-plenty!  As does his oratorio "Die Letze Dinge" (although we aren't officially talking about non-symphonic works here!).

It was his personal misfortune to be Beethoven's contemporary. His reputation has disappeared in Beethoven's shadow - putting him in the same category as Hummel and Simon Mayr, to name just two.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2015, 01:05:34 pm »

I meant in comparison to Beethoven! But Spohr is just different. I think he is a very satisfying composer to listen to. His chamber music is wonderful. I can listen to his music for hours. If there wasn't any depth I'd probably  want to switch off,wouldn't I?! ;D
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2015, 01:18:36 pm »

I really would have liked to include his Seventh in that list! :( Maybe I had to opt for Beethoven and Sibelius instead;but surely I could have swapped VW's spectacular with all those penguins,wind machines and that thrilling glacier for Spohr?!! ::)

Erm,maybe.....maybe not?!! ;D 
Report Spam   Logged
dyn
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2015, 12:07:38 am »

Sinfonietta - Hindemith (Lustige)
1 - Brahms / Messiaen (Turangalîla)
2 - Schumann / Tippett
3 - Carter (Symphonia) / Stravinsky (in C) / Berwald (Singulière) / Myaskovsky / Gerhard
4 - Sibelius / Ives / Lutosławski
5 - Ustvolskaya / Dvořák
6 - Nielsen
7 - Nørgård
8 - Schubert (the C Monster, not the Unfinished)
9 - Beethoven
13 - Holmboe
14 - Shostakovich
39 - Mozart
84 - Haydn

assuming each composer can only be used once.

Alternative list:

Dvořák 1-9
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2015, 04:59:53 am »

Ah, yes, I guess with Schubert, Dvorak and Brian one can choose alternative numberings, so have the Great C major as the 7th or 8th (which is apparently considered to be in many continental countries), rather than the 9th (as the UK has it). Brian 1-6 can be read two ways too. I'm sure there are other composers this applies to
Report Spam   Logged
Patrick Murtha
Level 2

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2015, 03:26:45 pm »

1.Sgambati
2.d'Indy
3.Berwald
4.Magnard
5.Vaughan Williams
6.Prokofiev
7.Beethoven
8.Sciostakovich
9.Mahler

A big thumbs-up to Berwald 3. What a great and original piece. I first learned it as a classical music aficionado in my teens in the Seventies, when I owned the old Nonesuch LP of Berwald 1 and 3 conducted by Hans Schmidt-Isserstedt (and in fact still do own it, but it's in storage because I'm abroad). It amazes me that the Berwald symphonies have not made greater inroads into the "standard repertory," given that they deserve live performance at the same frequency as the Schumann symphonies. But that's the biz for you - not very enterprising.

I like your list in general - I'm also a big fan of Prokofiev 6 (really all of Prokofiev's symphonies).
Report Spam   Logged
creative
Level 2

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2015, 02:06:35 am »

And the reluctance to exclude composers I get allot of pleasure from! So where can I fit Spohr? He's not a particularly deep composer,but I think his orchestration (at it's best) is gorgeous. No's 7 & 8 I find athletic and bracing,they cheer me up! But now I've got to leave Beethoven out! Spohr instead of Beethoven? He would have been up there himself once,of course! And late last night I started listening through Mahler's symphonies again. I really do like Roussel's No1.But instead of Mahler !?!! I like both,but........!!!!!
Tournemire got in mainly because I was struggling to come up with another no 8! For some reason,apart from the Dvorak and Daniel Jones,I don't really have any real favourites with that number. I do like the Vaughan Williams,but I don't think it's the most consistent of the cycle,although it has some very striking ideas. I bought the Haitink recording of 8 & 9 recently,which may change my mind?! The Tournemire is  consistent in it's invention,however,so in it went! Rather impressive. Strange music! His Seventh is seriously wierd,but I'm not sure if it hangs together. His Sixth is imho a knockout! But then I'd have to boot out Arnold and Piston! Confession time! I don't play the Tournemire that much to really justify including it! A job for Timpani,though! (Although as far as I can make out they're uninterested. I hope I'm wrong!)

But having to leave out Mahler 2,3 & 6!!! All the other Beethoven symphonies! Bax's third and fifth?! And then there are lesser symphonies that seem to suddenly grab you for some apparent reason,justified or not,and become a sort of 'flavour of the month'! I recently got hold of a s/h musicassette of George Lloyd's Seventh,which has been the subject of some discussion at the GMG,recently. Not sure if I'd want to dump Sibelius,Beethoven or VW in favour of George Lloyd (or that I should?!) but I DO rather like this one at the moment!

No Don Gillis symphonies I'm afraid!! ;D

I was also tempted to include a Rued Langgaard! No 9 "From Queen Dagmar's City",believe it or not?! I think this is an absolute peach of a symphony. Although it's more of a suite. If it hadn't been for Dvorak,Beethoven and VW it might actually have got in! Funny how such a screwed up miserable man could produce music as lovely,happy and carefree as this. No 3 is another example. His escape from a personal hell,I suppose?!

I bought the BIS Tubin and Holmboe cycle a few months ago,but I haven't yet got to the stage where I would feel I have to include one. Maybe No 2,which I have known (along with No 6) for years,via a still functional 25 year old cassette tape!

I wonder what Dundonnell and kyjo would have chosen?!!

You could include Don Gills Symphony 5 1/2...
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2015, 09:23:17 pm »

At least there is only one contender for the 5 1/2 spot!

Beat you to it ...
Report Spam   Logged
creative
Level 2

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2015, 05:49:16 pm »

At least there is only one contender for the 5 1/2 spot!

Beat you to it ...
[/quote

I am happy to be on the same wavelength......

Robert
Report Spam   Logged
chill319
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2015, 04:56:58 am »

I'm breaking the rules!!
With games like this, rules were made to be broken. Those are three fine lists, cilgwyn! They illustrate the incredible richness we have to choose from in art music. I'll have to look into Daniel Jones and Tournemire, neither of whom I know except by name.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: