The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:17:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Lady composers of nineteenth-century Britain

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lady composers of nineteenth-century Britain  (Read 541 times)
guest2
« on: December 18, 2014, 07:01:44 am »

Life and Music of Alice Mary Smith (1839 to 1884)

"This study of the nineteenth-century British composer Alice Mary Smith's life and music draws on newly discovered documents and manuscripts. The volume also includes information on other women composers from this era. At a time when women were thought to succeed only in composing drawing-room songs or lightweight piano pieces, Alice Mary Smith (1839-1884) wrote by far the greatest number of larger-scale art works of any British woman composer in the nineteenth century. She was most probably the first woman to have written - and had performed - a symphony, composed in 1863 at the age of twenty-four. Two of her six concert overtures were regularly performed by distinguished conductors of the time, and her four cantatas for choir and orchestra achieved some popularity in the last years of her short life. This study also briefly outlines the work of twelve further British female composers who attempted the higher forms of the art, and examines, from contemporary sources, the argument, current at the time, as to whether a woman could ever compose a 'great' work."

In the end Alice Smith and Oliveria Prescott produced two symphonies each.

Download as a pdf:
http://www47.zippyshare.com/v/43241894/file.html

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 03:26:54 pm »

I've come late to this topic and I find the download link no longer works. Can anyone provide me with another link that does work or a copy of the PDF, please? Sorry to be a nuisance.
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 02:14:59 pm »

Indeed, on Zippyshare the file doesn't longer exist.
I second Granenorm's wish.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: