The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:25:10 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

* Glyndebourne Opera Streaming Relay * CUNNING LITTLE VIXEN - Sunday 10th June

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: * Glyndebourne Opera Streaming Relay * CUNNING LITTLE VIXEN - Sunday 10th June  (Read 522 times)
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2012, 01:35:41 pm »

The Guardian have kept remarkably quiet about the live streaming relay of CUNNING LITTLE VIXEN they are offering (for free!) from Glyndebourne today!

There is no direct link to the stream up yet, but doubtless this page will update to show the link.

The performance begins at 6:30pm UK Time.

There's no information yet available about whether the stream will be available any longer than today - I certainly hope so, and last year's Glyndebourne relays were both available for a week after the performance date.

[I am attending the opening night of MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM here in Moscow this evening - on which I've been working as Assistant. Hopefully my 'big boss' will forgive me tuning in to Glyndebourne a bit later ;) ]

For r3ok members, don't bother - just keep wishing each other empty Happy Birthdays, and writing Grumpy Old Rants about how your shoe got filled with water. This is actual classical music, so it will be of no interest to you.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest54
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 02:01:47 pm »

Nice - thank you!

And a propos, a Scotch friend expressed just yesterday the following impression:

"Yesterday I was at Glyndebourne - and the sun came out. There is something about being with the English at play......that makes you glad you are not one of them. Watching the English at play is great fun! I just don't want to be English. But there is something about the Glyndebourne audience - they are amazingly elderly and well heeled and public school."
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 05:53:45 am »

"Yesterday I was at Glyndebourne - and the sun came out. There is something about being with the English at play......that makes you glad you are not one of them. Watching the English at play is great fun! I just don't want to be English. But there is something about the Glyndebourne audience - they are amazingly elderly and well heeled and public school."

There's a note of truth in that indeed :)

When private money and sponsorship combine forces to create something excellent and worthwhile, no fingers need be pointed.
Report Spam   Logged
guest54
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 04:12:20 pm »

Just as in the case of the Turn of the Screw, the "Flash Video Downloader" for Firefox is useful for those wishing to retain a permanent record of the event. There are two files: Act I and Act II. The interface of the "Flash Video Downloader" is I find rather confusing, and it does download slowly. There were no problems with Act I but in the case of Act II I had success only on the third attempt, but this is probably because my inter-web connection is not wonderful.

It is quite disconcerting that each of these Acts is preceded by five minutes of tasteless babble (in the same style as Radio 3 these days). I think it would be better were all that to be supplied in separate streams for those who might want to have it. Particularly disagreeable is the very beginning of the first stream, where the first thing we hear is one of those American women with a hard grating voice waffling away. I have no idea who she is or what she is doing there, since I muted the sound as quickly as I could. The Turn of the Screw last year did not have that kind of unnecessary and unwelcome stuffing.

I am not qualified to say anything about the opera itself, except that it is well worth watching for the sake of the music and other things. Will other members tell us what they think?
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 09:09:05 pm »

Musically quite competent, I thought - but the staging is fatally weak.  Melly Still has missed the point - the animals aren't supposed to be humans...  they're supposed to be animals, with animal behaviour and animal movement.  Giving the Vixen a knife - a human tool for killing animals - just shows how very badly she's missed the point.

Better to find the staging unveiled at the Opera de Bastille 3-4 years ago, which was really unsurpassable.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: