The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:57:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Do online orchestras work?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do online orchestras work?  (Read 372 times)
Ian Moore
Level 3

Times thanked: 20

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2014, 08:51:01 pm »

Is it possible to create a successful orchestra with online contributions?

What has been created here is a community based orchestra with a worldwide membership.

Could it be the future of orchestral music?

Watch the video and please tell me what you think.

Report Spam   Logged

Revolutions are celebrated when they are no longer dangerous.
-Boulez

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ian Moore
Level 3

Times thanked: 20

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 08:51:55 pm »

Is the future of music making online?
Report Spam   Logged

Revolutions are celebrated when they are no longer dangerous.
-Boulez
guest2
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 06:18:45 am »

His compositions, orchestrations, and crossover arrangements have been performed by such ensembles as Vancouver Symphony Orchestra, Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra, and San Francisco Symphony Chamber Ensemble. Thomas lives and works in Wellington, New Zealand, with his wife Erica and son Charlie, and one very unappreciative cat.

1) "crossover arrangements" = a red rag to a bull, for me.

2) "with his wife Erica and son Charlie, and one very unappreciative cat". So annoyingly twee. This sort of thing is best confined to the western Atlantic, where the hordes of the untalented, infantile and hag-ridden can stew in it. It does not, nor should it, interest the outside world of intelligent manly adults.

Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 12:56:24 am »

well that very well could be the case with "crowd funding" methods.....case in point... someone contacted me via email and said they had opened an account on kickstarter.com ( https://www.kickstarter.com/) and in fact, they said I could contribute a minimum of US$10 and receive a copy of the CD/CDs of a very rare composer's orchestral works. 

In fact, they raised $45,000 ...enough to pay the orchestra and recording engineers and I look forward to my CD sometime in January...  if it doesn't fund, then I get my  money back;  about 3000 people contributed various amounts.. and as you can image, if you contributed more, you got 1 of 10 packages..... it very well may be a method to kickstart the recordings of other composers whom works we have yet to be heard.   
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 01:04:07 am »

my next thought is ... with the number of people on these forums, wonder if we could get a consensus of 4 composers whose works have not yet be recorded commercially, and fund the project?   I know some labels (Naxos), would gladly release the recording commercially if someone handed them the master tapes with all the rights reverting to Naxos.
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 03:42:30 pm »

Or maybe the newest trick to "earn" money?
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 05:17:55 pm »

well that of course is the risk... say if some conductor and orchestra made the proposal and reached the minimum to fund the project, we have to hope that the conductor/organizer is legitimate.  Perhaps a Neeme Jarvi or someone with that distinction  ...  thoughts????
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: