The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:35:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Stepan Sulek: Symphonies

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stepan Sulek: Symphonies  (Read 1578 times)
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 12:49:03 am »

relm1-
Thanks for the excellent synopses for Suleks symphonies, they will come in handy when relistening to them.
In a word, how would you compare the audio with what we have here..is it worth the expense?
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2014, 12:49:49 am »

relm1-
Thanks for the excellent synopses for Suleks symphonies, they will come in handy when relistening to them.
In a word, how would you compare the audio with what we have here..is it worth the expense?

The 1st and 5th are mono recordings from the 1960's.  They sound reasonable (not great) and I believe are the same recordings here.  But all are improvements just because they are uncompressed from master recordings and I think the collection is worth getting if you like what you downloaded.  Do note, that you should find a local distributor because I purchased it from the US and that might not make the most sense for you depending on other factors such as shipping, currency rates, etc.  The other recordings are from the 1970's - 2013.  I wouldn't say they are state of the art like BIS and Ondine but still very good.  Note, I am picky and an audiophile so to most people, it should be quite good.  I have heard the recordings on youtube and found this a worthy purchase nonetheless.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2014, 01:37:49 am »

relm1-

The 1st and 5th are mono recordings from the 1960's.  They sound reasonable (not great) and I believe are the same recordings here.  But all are improvements just because they are uncompressed from master recordings and I think the collection is worth getting if you like what you downloaded.  Do note, that you should find a local distributor because I purchased it from the US and that might not make the most sense for you depending on other factors such as shipping, currency rates, etc.  The other recordings are from the 1970's - 2013.  I wouldn't say they are state of the art like BIS and Ondine but still very good.  Note, I am picky and an audiophile so to most people, it should be quite good.  I have heard the recordings on youtube and found this a worthy purchase nonetheless.
Thanks for the response, I just might upgrade if I get some extra moola for Christmas.
Sounds like the major producers are not interested in doing a new cycle..(sigh).
Report Spam   Logged
djarvie
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2017, 02:53:27 pm »

The Cantus set of Stjepan Sulek's symphonies is now available for download from iTunes (and also from Amazon UK).   This makes it much simpler to get hold of the set - no need to order from the US or from Croatia.  I've now listened to them all 2 or 3 times and I don't think I have been so engrossed in a symphonic cycle since I first discovered Mahler - some 50 years ago!  On first impression I found the music rather daunting, but they repay repeated listening.  My favorites are the turbulent symphonies from his middle period - numbers 3, 4, 5 and 6.
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2017, 11:18:13 pm »

My favorites are the turbulent symphonies from his middle period - numbers 3, 4, 5 and 6.

At the time I became familiar with Sulek's Symphonies it was exactly those four you mention (Nos. 3-6) I myself favored as the most compelling, though No.6 stands way out ahead of the others IMO and is the only one I ever feel the impulse to hear anymore.  The wish is always that discoveries like Sulek will endure and retain one's enthusiasm over the years, but typically (because of certain weaknesses in the construction and materials) they don't, however infatuating the initial acquaintance was, - or it becomes only a single work one finds strong enough to merit repeated encounter.  Kabelac is another instance of this with me that comes to mind, whose Symphonies each have a certain individuality and pockets of persuasion that can be transiently alluring or diverting as the case may be.  But after all "The Mystery of Time" is the sole Kabelac work that truly speaks in any continuous and powerful way, and it's that alone by him I ever choose for engaged listening.  The rest (like all but Sulek's 6th) is in recession. 
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2017, 11:29:27 pm »

My favorites are the turbulent symphonies from his middle period - numbers 3, 4, 5 and 6.

At the time I became familiar with Sulek's Symphonies it was exactly those four you mention (Nos. 3-6) I myself favored as the most compelling, though No.6 stands way out ahead of the others IMO and is the only one I ever feel the impulse to hear anymore.  The wish is always that discoveries like Sulek will endure and retain one's enthusiasm over the years, but typically (because of certain weaknesses in the construction and materials) they don't, however infatuating the initial acquaintance was, - or it becomes only a single work one finds strong enough to merit repeated encounter.  Kabelac is another instance of this with me that comes to mind, whose Symphonies each have a certain individuality and pockets of persuasion that can be transiently alluring or diverting as the case may be.  But after all "The Mystery of Time" is the sole Kabelac work that truly speaks in any continuous and powerful way, and it's that alone by him I ever choose for engaged listening.  The rest (like all but Sulek's 6th) is in recession. 

Greg and I are in complete agreement about "The Mystery of Time" :) :)
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2017, 03:01:40 am »

And about Sulek?
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2017, 05:46:18 pm »

And about Sulek?

I think we are probably in general agreement here too. Worthy but not earth-shattering. I am listening again to No.6 and it is not without merit. Would I wish to return to it often? Probably not.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: