The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:52:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Slonimsky - Piano Concerto 2

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Slonimsky - Piano Concerto 2  (Read 283 times)
guest2
« on: October 11, 2014, 11:50:14 am »

Slonimsky (presumably Sergei): Second Piano Concerto:

http://meloman.ru/concert/orkestr-moskovskoj-filarmoniiyurij-simonovbrekaterina-mechetina/

He has written ten symphonies: this particularly academic genre dominated Slonimsky’s output of the 1980s. Although the second of these appeared 20 years after the first, the following six were written over just three years. Various models of sonata-symphonic cycle are presented there: lyrical-epic, pastoral, those with signs of narrative drama of the novelistic type (for example, the Fourth Symphony, dedicated to the composer’s father, the writer Mikhail Slonimsky). In the later symphonies he displays a tendency towards post-Mahlerian massive cycles; the tragic Ninth Symphony depicts the catastrophes which have befallen humanity in the 20th century. The same theme is depicted through mythological images in the symphonic fresco Apollon i Marsiy (‘Apollo and Marsyas’), commissioned by Ricordi. The programmatic Tenth Symphony Krugi Ada (‘Circles of Hell’) – written under the influence of the Divina Commedia by Dante Alighieri – is divided into nine parts (‘circles’) which follow without a break. The complex numerical symbolism of Dante’s poem is reflected in the serial transposition of rows, and the composer pays great attention to effects of timbre and the various ways of creating sound on wind instruments. Slonimsky’s continued interest in the problems facing humanity and in tragic conflicts is reflected in his five operas, which represent various types of operatic drama in different periods of world history and literature.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 09:35:01 pm »

Excellent concert, thank you !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
mjkFendrich
Level 3

Times thanked: 17

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 09:35:23 pm »

Dear Gerard,

thanks for alerting us of this Moscow premiere (especially for fans of this great composer like me) ! 
Btw., your added informations are quite outdated (as is the composer's own home page) - e.g. the
latest symphony available from classical-music-online already carries number 32 and his Symphony No.33
is available from Slonimsky's own (??) YT channel:

One source containing some more recent informations about him is

http://www.remusik.org/en/slonimsky/

Downloadable mkv files of the above mentioned concert featuring Slonimsky's 2nd Piano Concerto are also available from

http://intoclassics.net/news/2014-09-18-36708

Report Spam   Logged
guest2
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 01:23:37 am »

I'm most grateful for the pointers to up-to-date information, and especially for the download links!
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 01:36:34 pm »

Slonimsky was greatly supported by the Bolshoi Theatre, paticularly during the 1970s - when his ballet ICARUS achieved great success, and was toured internationally by the Bolshoi

The Bolshoi also commissioned and staged his earlier operas, notably THE MASTER & MARGARITA - whose music is adventurous, but which suffered from a (rather unstandably) chaotic libretto fashioned from Bulgakov's enormous and multi-layered epic novel.

Thereafter Slonimsky somewhat fell from favour at the Bolshoi - ironically, as a composer once regarded as "rather risky" at the Bolshoi, and then tarred with the brush of being one of the "old guard".

I hope he gets some kind of retrospective while he's still alive?  He certainly deserves one.  I am translating a rather weighty tome for the Bolshoi at the moment - a history of the Bolshoi Ballet during the Soviet era.  Slonimsky comes out of it rather well (so far - I've only done the first third of the book so far).  I wonder if they will ever revive his works?  The productions are all so catastrophically old now, that they'd need new productions to secure any success as a staging.

Worth mentioning, of course, that he's also a distinguished musicologist, teacher, and critic.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 08:36:51 am »

His brother Nicholas, best known as a musicologist (and a witty one) also composed, but AFAIK, only small-scale piano works, about which he was unduly modest. I did hear him play some of them once in London. He wore a tie that looked like a salmon hanging down his shirt front.
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 10:36:48 am »

His brother Nicholas, best known as a musicologist (and a witty one) also composed, but AFAIK, only small-scale piano works, about which he was unduly modest. I did hear him play some of them once in London. He wore a tie that looked like a salmon hanging down his shirt front.
I thought that Nicolas Slonimsky (1894-1995) was Sergei's uncle.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 04:13:35 am »

I'm most grateful for the pointers to up-to-date information, and especially for the download links!
check here as well..
http://classical-music-online.net/en/composer/Slonimsky/985
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 08:19:53 am »

I thought that Nicolas Slonimsky (1894-1995) was Sergei's uncle.

Sorry, brain not engaged ...
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 01:14:13 am »

check here as well..
http://classical-music-online.net/en/composer/Slonimsky/985
and Google Chrome to translate this search:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=%D0%A1%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%B3%D0%B5%D0%B9+%D0%A1%D0%BB%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BC%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%B9&page=2
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: