The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:57:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

My first piece of modern music.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My first piece of modern music.  (Read 2430 times)
ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2014, 01:49:30 pm »

But you really should get a better recording guy who knows how to handle microphones - the sound on that is awful.

Gauk, I made this comment about the work...

"Unfortunately, the recording is quite old. The tape is worn and, despite my best efforts, some of the loud passages are distorted (by modern standards). There are also a few errors which I hope do not spoil your enjoyment. "

I don't see that comment anywhere in the thread.
That's because it isn't in the thread itself but tucked away in the information which you can obtain by clicking the "i" button at the top right of the video itself.

As if it's likely that anyone will bother with that ...
Well, I did - and I was merely pointing out where I found it!
Report Spam   Logged
Ian Moore
Level 3

Times thanked: 20

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2014, 07:36:33 pm »

Any more guesses? Do you need a clue?
Report Spam   Logged

Revolutions are celebrated when they are no longer dangerous.
-Boulez
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2014, 11:02:24 pm »

I have watched I don't know how many videos and I have never once clicked that "I" unless I know in advance there is some reason to do so.
Report Spam   Logged
Ian Moore
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 10:13:08 pm »

I'll assume you are talking to Ahinton.
Report Spam   Logged

-Boulez
ahinton
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 10:19:18 pm »

Why's that then?
Report Spam   Logged
Ian Moore
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 10:26:37 pm »

I asked him if he wanted a clue and he started talking about not clicking on a certain part of the page so I assumed he was talking to you.
Report Spam   Logged

-Boulez
guest54
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2014, 06:52:27 am »

Would members kindly note that there is - at least in theory - no singular "you" in this forum. Every contribution must be assumed to be addressed to the forum as a whole. If the word "you" appears it will be taken to be plural and to refer to "the membership" not any particular member. Private conversations with individuals may be conducted by clicking on "my messages" at the top of the page.
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2014, 07:17:06 am »

Would members kindly note that there is - at least in theory - no singular "you" in this forum. Every contribution must be assumed to be addressed to the forum as a whole. If the word "you" appears it will be taken to be plural and to refer to "the membership" not any particular member. Private conversations with individuals may be conducted by clicking on "my messages" at the top of the page.
Point taken, of course - but I see in member Gauk's posts #11, 14 & #17 no obvious reference to any individual, which is why in my own post #19 I queried member Ian Moore's post in which he appears to assume othedrwise; for the record and for the avoidance of doubt, I did not assume anyone to be addressing any single individual in particular rather than the readership as a whole. Member Ian Moore posted that he issued a caveat about the recording of his work, member Gauk had not seen it and, because I happened to have noticed its source as being accessible by clicking on the "i" for informtion on the video itself, I said so and member Gauk clearly felt that this was not the same as making a statement in a post, with which I would agree; I'm sure that this is not indicatiave of any conversation being carried on between individual members to the exclusion of others because I assume that those others would not have been expected to know where to find that information either.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2014, 01:02:56 pm »

ahinton is correct, I was making a general statement. I assume that all posts are directed at all readers of the thread unless stated to the contrary.
Report Spam   Logged
Ian Moore
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2014, 08:59:56 pm »

Sorry I misunderstood. I suppose no clues needed either.
Report Spam   Logged

-Boulez
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2014, 12:22:37 pm »

Frankly, I find this whole thread a bit strange. I would normally expect any creative artist to want to emphasise what was original in their work rather than what was derivative.
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2014, 12:46:47 pm »

Frankly, I find this whole thread a bit strange. I would normally expect any creative artist to want to emphasise what was original in their work rather than what was derivative.
Fair comment, although influence is not necessarily synonymous with being derivative. However, writing as a composer myself, I find it strange for other reasons, not least because it has yet to be clarified (a) what is supposedly meant by a composer's "first piece of modern music" or indeed the significance of that meaning in relation to the invitation to spot the influence/s and (b) why a composer would seek specifically to consult forum members as to matters of influence in apparent preference to any other aspects or characteristics of the music itself.
Report Spam   Logged
Ian Moore
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2014, 06:04:14 pm »

If you look at my other work, you hopefully you will find a lot of originality.  This is my first (student) work in a modern style.  As Ahinton suggests, I would have hoped that people find it interesting looking at where I started and how I got to where I am now. Borrowing ideas from Great composers, isn't a new or unique concept.  Didn't Picasso say,

I good artist borrows and great artist steals.

This thread is purely for historical reasons and a bit a of fun if I could anyone to guess the less obvious influences!

Gauk, I have tried my best to get people to comment on the quality and the impact of the music.  People like Ahinton kindly oblige but it is a never-ending battle.  I don't think you have commented; what do you think of it? (Obviously taking into account it was written many years ago as a young man). I am genuinely interested in your opinion.
Report Spam   Logged

-Boulez
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2014, 10:16:13 am »

If you look at my other work, you hopefully you will find a lot of originality.  This is my first (student) work in a modern style.  As Ahinton suggests, I would have hoped that people find it interesting looking at where I started and how I got to where I am now. Borrowing ideas from Great composers, isn't a new or unique concept.  Didn't Picasso say,

This thread is purely for historical reasons and a bit a of fun if I could anyone to guess the less obvious influences!

Gauk, I have tried my best to get people to comment on the quality and the impact of the music.  People like Ahinton kindly oblige but it is a never-ending battle.  I don't think you have commented; what do you think of it? (Obviously taking into account it was written many years ago as a young man). I am genuinely interested in your opinion.

I think it was Eliot said that, but it is probably one of those quotes that is endlessly re-attributed.

Also, I was being what in another century would have been called "nice" about the word "derivative", meaning simply "derived from something".

About the work, well, I didn't comment mostly because I wasn't sure that you would welcome an honest opinion. Listening to it is not helped by the bad sound, either. I thought it very much a student work. It starts off nicely, then works out some ideas rather prosaically, and then stops abruptly. As a piece, I don't think it hangs together, and sounds very much like an exercise. If you started out with the artifical idea "I will write some music in a modern style" then I could expect this sort of result. Was it Holst who said that one should only write a piece of music if the strain of not writing it becomes unbearable? (The same applies, I strongly believe, to poetry).
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2014, 01:13:14 pm »

Didn't Picasso say,

I think it was Eliot said that, but it is probably one of those quotes that is endlessly re-attributed.
Not least to Stravinsky, but then Stravinsky was himself the 20th century magpie par excellence anyway and so the fact of it being attributed to him seems rather like poetic justice to me!

Was it Holst who said that one should only write a piece of music if the strain of not writing it becomes unbearable?
It might have been but, again, this is yet another of those quotable quotes whose true origin has long since been shrouded in the mists of time, theft and misattribution; whoever it was knew of what he/she spoke, however!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: