The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:30:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

My first piece of modern music.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My first piece of modern music.  (Read 2429 times)
Ian Moore
Level 3

Times thanked: 20

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2014, 09:16:37 pm »

This is my first piece of modern music written as a student at Goldsmiths College. Can you spot the influences?

Report Spam   Logged

Revolutions are celebrated when they are no longer dangerous.
-Boulez

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ian Moore
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 09:51:37 pm »

Isn't anyone going to have a guess?
Report Spam   Logged

-Boulez
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 08:31:33 am »

Bax, I would say, at least in the opening. But you really should get a better recording guy who knows how to handle microphones - the sound on that is awful.

I am intrigued by it being your "first piece of modern music" - are we to understand you have been writing lots of ancient music?
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 10:08:04 am »

The ones that you mention in your informtion on the piece, although I'd not read this until aftr listening to it; Varèse in particular.
Report Spam   Logged
autoharp
Level 3

Times thanked: 15

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 12:33:58 pm »

Octandre and Octandre.
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 12:43:04 pm »

Octandre and Octandre.
Well, the instrumentation gives that away in both cases, of course, but it's not just that...

That said, I am also somewhat concerned about the notion of this (or indeed anything else, for that matter) being anyone's "first piece of modern music"; whatever volte-face of style and manner Amériques might have represented (something which, with nothing before it apparently surviving other than the isolated Un grand sommeil d'amour from some 15 years earlier, I guess we'll never know), I can hardly imagine that Varèse would so have described his piece from the early 1920s; the orchestral Bourgogne (dating as it did from the year after that early song) did at least receive a performance (in Berlin in 1910) which apparently caused something of a riot along the lines of the more famous ones that attended Le Sacre and certain works of Schönberg yet, as http://atuneadayblogdotcom.wordpress.com/2013/08/28/edgar-varese-bourgogne-1907/ reveals, Richard Strauss and Hugo von Hoffmansthal were among those who helped to support that performance taking place and Debussy and Busoni had cordial exchanges with the composer (I've often wondered what Strauss in later life might have made of what Varèse wrote from Amériques onwards).
Report Spam   Logged
Ian Moore
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 10:15:21 pm »

There are several influences...Varese is the most obvious but what about the others? Not Bax, though. I have never been influenced by a composer from the English school.
Report Spam   Logged

-Boulez
Ian Moore
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 06:18:49 am »

The English nationalist school I meant to say.

Do you need a clue?
Report Spam   Logged

-Boulez
Ian Moore
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 06:25:50 am »

But you really should get a better recording guy who knows how to handle microphones - the sound on that is awful.

Gauk, I made this comment about the work...

"Unfortunately, the recording is quite old. The tape is worn and, despite my best efforts, some of the loud passages are distorted (by modern standards). There are also a few errors which I hope do not spoil your enjoyment. "

Also, I say 'modern' because it is not my first work. It is the first work written for people who like modern music.
Report Spam   Logged

-Boulez
ahinton
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 08:04:27 am »

Also, I say 'modern' because it is not my first work. It is the first work written for people who like modern music.
Why does the fact of it not being your first work make it "modern"? And what is "modern music" anyway? Surely not Varèse, whose Octandre is not far short of a century old? And why was it written (by implication, at least) for people who like "modern music" and not for others?
Report Spam   Logged
autoharp
Level 3

Times thanked: 15

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 08:13:28 am »

Do you need a clue?

No.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 08:15:53 am »

But you really should get a better recording guy who knows how to handle microphones - the sound on that is awful.

"Unfortunately, the recording is quite old. The tape is worn and, despite my best efforts, some of the loud passages are distorted (by modern standards). There are also a few errors which I hope do not spoil your enjoyment. "

I don't see that comment anywhere in the thread.
Report Spam   Logged
Expi
Level 3

Times thanked: 11

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 09:14:29 am »

:-\
Report Spam   Logged

Here is a short list of relevant british composers:
ahinton
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 10:15:45 am »

That's because it isn't in the thread itself but tucked away in the information which you can obtain by clicking the "i" button at the top right of the video itself.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 11:26:19 am »

That's because it isn't in the thread itself but tucked away in the information which you can obtain by clicking the "i" button at the top right of the video itself.

As if it's likely that anyone will bother with that ...
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: