The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:56:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Akira Ifukube (1914-2006)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Akira Ifukube (1914-2006)  (Read 226 times)
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2014, 06:34:38 pm »

I'm currently listening to a lot of music by Akira Ifukube on YT. he was a prolific composer for the cinema, particularly noted for having composed music for all the original Godzilla films. This comes as no surprise hearing some of his concert music. If you like music that tends to the loud and insistent, then Ifukube's work is worth exploring. Some of it even sounds like Orkest de Volharding avant la lettre, like this piece - called Ritmica Ostinata, appropriately enough - from 1961:

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

shamus
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 12:32:45 am »

Loud, insistent, yes, and fun for while, then it seemed to me that there was too much repetition of themes, just redressed with more percussion and loudness (even from one piece to another), which maybe belongs in film music but not so exciting for me. An isolated piece, though I can take fine but I stopped seeking his music out rather sooner than my obsessive-compulsive personality usually allows when I am into my single composer listen-to-everything-he or she ever wrote-I-can-find mode. Each to his own.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: