The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:11:02 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Debussy, clarinet Rhapsody

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Debussy, clarinet Rhapsody  (Read 926 times)
guest54
« on: April 27, 2012, 01:37:15 am »

I've heard a few bizarre and absurd things in my life, but this is certainly one of the most incredible of these!

But Mr. H., is it not impressed upon us all even in the nursery that a) it does not do to bring foreign objects to the mouth ("put that down - dirty!") and b) the blowing, bubbling, et cetera of infant-life - in other words, the production of noise orally - loses its charm after say the second year?

Thus these blown instruments represent the stubborn, untamed, unrefined, unrighteous, dark, unseemly, perverse, cabbalistical aspect of musical expression. Many composers - especially Shtrahfinsky of course but by no means only he - have I think understood this. Just think of Mozart and his trombones!

As Mrs. Carlyle wrote: "There arose a shrill, clear sound; the strange instrument was a 'clarionet.'"
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: