The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:08:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

MicroSoft Office - to buy, or to rent?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MicroSoft Office - to buy, or to rent?  (Read 2781 times)
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2014, 07:55:28 pm »

As a confirmed user of OpenOffice, I've been somewhat irked by recent targeted advertising inviting me to "buy" MicroSoft Office.

You can apparently pay whatever you like, depending on whether you tell them you are starving in a garret, or a hedonistic plutocrat.

But here's the thing. You're not actually "buying" it. You are buying the right to USE it, for a 365-day period.  So really you are just renting it. For the purchase price.

Am I perhaps being naive here - or is there any reason why anyone would want to lash-out heft sums for something to which you get no title rights whatsoever, and is merely the come-on for another whopping price in a year's time?

In any case, I only ever use wordprocessing or spreadsheets. Office can't handle PDF files in any case (and I often have to use them). The interface of MS-Word seemed so full of unnecessary bloat that I didn't look further.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest2
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 01:25:48 am »

Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 07:35:06 am »

As far as I am aware you can actually buy Microsoft Office.
Report Spam   Logged
oldfezzi
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 02:37:38 pm »

Why would ANYONE buy Microsoft Office when you can use Open Office free?   It's not pirated.  It's not illegal.   Just a clone of MS Office offered by Apache.

Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 02:48:40 pm »

Why would ANYONE buy Microsoft Office when you can use Open Office free?   It's not pirated.  It's not illegal.   Just a clone of MS Office offered by Apache.

There is also  Libre Office. Very much like Open Office, also free to use.

Both the programmes are slightly different from eachother and from MS Office. But both are free. Not everything works the same, but this is no problem after you get used to these other programmes.
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 03:23:47 pm »

Just a clone of MS Office offered by Apache.

But with all the bloat removed, with the infantile interface torn away - and actually tested before release :)

Thanks to Gerard for the Shakespearian witticism :)
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 08:38:43 am »

I tried Libre Office, and it made a complete hash of a complex formatted document - displayed it all wrong.
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 07:17:11 pm »

The only feature OpenOffice seems to lack when compared to MS-Word, is the ability to track historic editing/redaction/reinstatement operations by date and editor. (It is enabled in OpenOffice to a limited degree, but is not fully compatible with the level of functionality in the latest releases of MS-Word). This is quite a recondite feature - but I sometimes get asked for it in my work.

Frankly it inclines me to thinking that organisations who have up 15 authors/editors all working on the same document at once (and angrily crossing-through each others work, after leaving shirty notes) have 14 staff too many ;)
Report Spam   Logged
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

Times thanked: 42

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 12:04:13 pm »

Of course you cam always use a mac and have Office for Mac, a very well behaved and quite cheap program.

(I used NeoOffice on the mac for years (version of Open Office), but got annoyed at various bugs they never fixed. They wouldn't even allow you to notify them about bugs unless you made a donation above a certain value  >:( So I switched to Microsoft)
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 05:33:46 am »

I concurr completely, it will even docx files!!!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: