The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:24:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

František Kramář (or Krommer if you like)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: František Kramář (or Krommer if you like)  (Read 165 times)
guest2
« on: April 13, 2012, 11:34:13 am »

It is always thrilling is it not to discover the work of a new composer. I personally can say this in the case of František Kramář (sometimes known as Franz Krommer), who lived from 1759 to 1831, and of whose very existence I had until this week been ignorant.

The great quality of his music is its originality: it continually defies one's expectations, and thus continually retains one's conscious attention. Its style resembles Mozart's, but it is of a Mozart who lived on into the nineteenth century. It also - and this is very striking - resembles van Beethoven's; and indeed we are at every point prompted to ask, whether this or that way of doing something was invented by Kramář or by van Beethoven. I am really tempted to say, by the former; and that would constitute a great upheaval in the received history of musical ćsthetics would it not.

Do any Members know Kramář's work? He produced nine numbered symphonies, as well as two Pastoral Symphonies; thirty-five string quintettes, something like seventy-six string quartettes (always the great test), but just one pianoforte quartette that I can see, and - disappointingly - no pianoforte quintette.

What a kindly and at the same time intelligent face he had! An altogether pleasanter person than van Beethoven perhaps?

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 05:00:55 pm »

Many thanks for the tip-off.  I'm always interested in the music of Beethoven's contemporaries - who so often get a raw deal in Histories Of Musick, primarily for not being Beethoven.

I shall be sure to look up some of František Kramář's work quite soon!

Disappointingly little vocal music, however.  In fact - none.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: