The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:26:25 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

convenience only?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: convenience only?  (Read 367 times)
Cal
« on: May 21, 2009, 03:00:36 pm »

Having been a reader all my life, from the classics to the eagerly awaited latest novel of a favourite author , I now find myself listening to audio books with the same enthusiasm. I have several books on my ipod and listen to them with such pleasure as I potter around doing other things.
Does anyone else listen to audio books now more than reading the pages ? or am I just 'getting older' as my daughter says!!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

smittims
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 09:42:36 am »

My Dad was  a great reader but went almost blind in his late years and turned to audiobooks. at the same time I  acquired  a few, but I find I haven't listened to them much, and the same goes for radio stations like 'One Word ' and BBC7 which I thought I would find  a welcome change from wall-to-wall music .

I think I prefer the silence that goes with reading , or at least the ambient background noise of birds and passing trains . Since I retired I have rediscovered the joys of immersing myself in a good book. Getting into some serious literature, much of which I had skipped earlier in life (Thackeray and Scott, for instance)  was one thing I wanted to do and have found it a great pleasure.
Report Spam   Logged
Reiner Torheit
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 02:14:54 pm »

I can't say I enjoy audiobooks myself...   I miss the chance to be able to underline passages in pencil that I want to come back to, to flick through again later, to bookmark for reference.

But it's having the book "interpreted" by the reader (by means of accent, pace, style, tone etc) that drives me potty :(
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: