The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:57:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Complete VW Symphonies from Rozhdestvensky!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Complete VW Symphonies from Rozhdestvensky!  (Read 1174 times)
chill319
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2014, 12:19:57 am »

I don't think it will replace the best of the group (Boult/Previn/handly/Haitink)
I'd be interested in hearing people's opinions (personal, not received) on just what is _wrong_ with the performances of VW symphonies by Slatkin.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2014, 09:35:15 am »

Informative and positive musicweb review -

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2014/Jun14/VW_symphonies_MELCD1002170.htm

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest128
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2014, 10:30:10 pm »

Twenty years ago when I was more exploratory and profligate than I am now this set would have been very enticing or even essential.  But I've heard these works so repeatedly and in such a multitude of diverse recordings I feel yet another take on them that isn't truly exceptional just won't spur me.

One goes through a life cycle in regards to the standard rep and the acquisition of recordings thereof, - from initial discovery to the breadth, depth, and dynamism of wide and full engagement, followed by the mature commitment that implies limits and exclusionary choices and finally the wistful reflection back over all one might have missed but happy in the pleasures and achievements consummated nonetheless.

It can often seem rather arbitrary in how it all unfolds, but new (or newly available) recordings that come along and catch one's attention in a random way do at the same time meet a certain inner acquisitory  discrimination the nature of which shifts around at different stages of the cycle, making the ongoing constitution of one's collection apparently a patchwork but in fact eminently logical to those who might understand its key.

The appearance of Rozhdestvensky's VW Symphonies has simply come along at the wrong time and place for me in relation to the associated inner promptings of my current stage in the life cycle. I'll likely never hear it.

:D

Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2014, 12:17:55 am »

Twenty years ago when I was more exploratory and profligate than I am now this set would have been very enticing or even essential.  But I've heard these works so repeatedly and in such a multitude of diverse recordings I feel yet another take on them that isn't truly exceptional just won't spur me.

One goes through a life cycle in regards to the standard rep and the acquisition of recordings thereof, - from initial discovery to the breadth, depth, and dynamism of wide and full engagement, followed by the mature commitment that implies limits and exclusionary choices and finally the wistful reflection back over all one might have missed but happy in the pleasures and achievements consummated nonetheless.

It can often seem rather arbitrary in how it all unfolds, but new (or newly available) recordings that come along and catch one's attention in a random way do at the same time meet a certain inner acquisitory  discrimination the nature of which shifts around at different stages of the cycle, making the ongoing constitution of one's collection apparently a patchwork but in fact eminently logical to those who might understand its key.

The appearance of Rozhdestvensky's VW Symphonies has simply come along at the wrong time and place for me in relation to the associated inner promptings of my current stage in the life cycle. I'll likely never hear it.

:D

Greg..that is an interesting take on this release..as far as V Wms goes, there is no "perfect" cycle for me..There are good things about each of them and I suspect a talent like Rozhdesvensky will make the most of some of them..but do I really need to hear another cycle?...If I had money to burn (which I do not)and the reviews were extraordinary, perhaps..
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2014, 09:50:39 am »

Frankly, I don't feel any need to buy recordings of standard repertoire that I can hear in different interpretations on the radio. Except in rare cases of exceptional performances - I did shell out for the recent Dunedin Consort release of the Brandenburg concertos.
Report Spam   Logged
chill319
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2014, 01:04:02 am »

...but his first name spelt "Ralf"

Shouldn't that be "Rafe"?  ;)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: