The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:57:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Jacob Adolf Hägg - Nordisk symfoni.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jacob Adolf Hägg - Nordisk symfoni.  (Read 217 times)
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2014, 02:25:13 am »

Jacob Adolf Hägg - Nordisk symfoni.
Sveriges Radios Symfoniorkester. Dirigent: Cecilia Rydinger Alin.
Konsert 1992, Berwaldhallen.
http://sverigesradio.se/sida/avsnitt/358738?programid=4428
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest54
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 05:31:40 am »

Grove's: "Jacob Adolf Hägg was born in 1850 and expired in 1928. In his earlier years his skills as a solo pianist, accompanist and chamber music player were highly appreciated and his improvisations were admired. In 1873 he became mentally ill, and remained so for over 20 years. He was elected a member of the Swedish Royal Academy of Music in 1917. As a composer Hägg followed the tradition of Mendelssohn, Schumann and Gade, although he also experimented with harmonies and style. His output was extensive, with instrumental works predominating, including five symphonies, three overtures and chamber music. His works for piano are the most important within the early Swedish Romantic style, and include two sonatas and a sonatine, ten suites, many impromptus, novelettes, bagatelles and other works. His chamber works include a cello sonata, three string quartets, trios and numerous works for violin."

Whereas:

Wikipædia: "Hägg composed four symphonies and other orchestral and choral works, chamber music, a collection of Little Nordic Songs without Words for piano, ten piano suites, and pieces for cello and for organ. His cousin Gustaf Hägg (1867–1925) was also a composer."

One might have expected people to get right an elementary fact such as the number of symphonies a man wrote! Imagine reading in one place "Brahms wrote six symphonies" and in Wikipædia "Brahms composed about three symphonies"! Mind you, Beethoven wrote "about ten" if you count his stirring "Battle." According to the wonderful list put together by member Ttle (who is always right in my experience) the true number is five:

http://ttle.perso.neuf.fr/Symphonies/symphonistes_e-j.htm

I wonder when this "Nordisk" symphony was written? I will download the programme and attempt to decypher what is said about it.
Report Spam   Logged
guest54
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 08:48:12 am »

Later: I have downloaded the programme, using the method I have described in another thread: http://artmusic.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,3515.0.html

To save any one who is interested from going through all those steps themselves, here (below) is the result of the final step - a simple link to the music. The programme has a duration of two hours, but it can be downloaded in roughly one hour. Hägg's symphony begins at the 1 hour 8 minute mark. Unfortunately the announcement is very brief, and even I - with no Swedish - can tell that no number or date is provided! The first few minutes of the music sound quite jolly and pleasant, in the style of circa 1895:

http://lyssnaigen.sr.se/Autorec/ET2W/P2/Musik_mot_midnatt/2014/05/SRP2_2014-05-01_220000_7200_a96.m4a

Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 04:53:56 am »

There is this:

http://www.sterlingcd.com/catalogue/cds1007.html

no year mentioned but it is opus 2.

Nordische Symphonie E flat Op.2
- Allegro
- Adagio cantabile
- Presto - L'istesso tempo - Tempo I
- Finale. Maestoso . Allegro vivace - Presto e maestoso

Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 09:36:58 am »

According to ttle's info the writing on the symphony started in 1870, but was finished only in 1890.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 07:33:47 pm »

According to ttle's info the writing on the symphony started in 1870, but was finished only in 1890.
the music is romantic and pleasurable if not outstanding..I think of Svendsen's lighter music..
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: