The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:32:34 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What do you look for in purchasing a recording?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you look for in purchasing a recording?  (Read 237 times)
SerAmantiodiNicolao
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2014, 01:46:04 am »

I'm a member of a 100-or-so voice community choir in Washington, DC, and we're gearing up to do some recording in a couple of months - the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom (in Georgian) by Zakharia Paliashvili.  (This isn't a shameless plug - promise.  That will be coming soon enough. ;D)  We will also be publishing a critical edition of the score for sale.

A number of people have been talking about marketing this project primarily to the scholarly community - college music departments, religious studies departments, things of that sort.  I think that would be a mistake, and that the project could easily have broader appeal.  I've mentioned this in discussion with others, and they asked me to do a bit of marketing research, as it were.  Hence this post.  I hope y'all don't mind my picking your collective brains.

One of the major concerns is pricing.  What's a good price?  I know that I don't like to spend more than ten or twelve dollars on a CD of something totally unknown to me.  Where do you draw the line - what's your high-end threshold?  Does it change if the piece, or composer, is a known quantity?  It does for me...to a certain extent.  What about for a copy of the score - would that be of interest?  At what price?

Another question that has come up has to do with selling a downloadable recording online.  This is certainly something that I think would be viable.  Would you be willing to pay for a download?  (I'd suggest, if we do that, that we find some way of providing a downloadable copy of the liner notes as well.)

I've answered these questions myself, based on my own experience, in the various conversations I've had.  But I'm more interested in what others might have to say about the subject, too.

(I hope this post is OK here - I couldn't think of any place else where it might fit.)

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: