The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:31:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Authentic or not?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Authentic or not?  (Read 393 times)
guest2
« on: May 21, 2009, 10:24:30 am »

Here is a rendition of Bach's Trio Sonata in C Minor BWV 526, which is more commonly heard as an organ work. What do people think of this version played by a guitarist and a harpsichordist?

The thing about the guitar is that it seems rather difficult to play fast passages clearly, so perhaps these players are shooting themselves in the foot. And I am constantly put in mind of Schönberg's opus 24 Serenade - which can't be right!

Here are the men responsible - I can imagine more reliable-looking faces . . .

But perhaps this is my prejudice - what do other members think of it?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Paul
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 03:47:37 pm »

Sheer lunacy! It is difficult to think of any better way to make a lively piece marked Vivace anything but vivacious than this display. The piece also suffered from the transposition of numerous melodies an octave lower than they should have been.

Eliot Fisk is perhaps better associated with THIS...
Report Spam   Logged
Tony Watson
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 12:14:47 am »

Didn't Paganini also play the guitar? I wonder whether he ever attempted the above, or what he would have thought of it.

Familiar music played on unfamiliar instruments can be very hit and miss. I have Saint-Saens' Swan played on the double bass to surprisingly good effect and I have a soft spot for Wendy Carlos and her Moog synthesizer but I don't think I have ever heard a convincing orchestration of Debussy's piano music.
Report Spam   Logged
t-p
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 10:08:48 am »

II am still catching up with messages on this board.

It is great to hear and see people with such amazing skills. They do marvels for attracting more and more people to classical music and to create enthusiasm.

I know how difficult it is to play and admire people that attain this efficiency. We all have our phisical limitations. One can feel it when playing .

But at the same time there is this desire and desire to improve one’s ability all one's life, understand something else about playing.
Most people admire fantastic skills from time of Liszt. Bach was also virtuoso on organ keyboard.

Thank you for posting this amazing performance here. 
Here is blind pianist from Japan.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: