The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:35:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Dodecaphonic works you admire and adore

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dodecaphonic works you admire and adore  (Read 6442 times)
dyn
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 02:52:12 am »

Xenakis wrote some of the most thrilling and appealing music of the past century—for me anyway. On the other hand, the music of Wagner is dull and generally overhyped, and i have given up trying to like it.

I imagine your opinion is exactly the same as mine, just with the names reversed :D

Have to admit of the composers i like i don't have the faintest idea which ones are dodecaphonic and which ones aren't, without looking at the liner notes that is. The methods a composer uses to construct their works are relevant only to them in my opinion—the results are what matter. Stravinsky's "serial" works are among my favourite music ever written, though. especially Threni, Movements, Requiem Canticles (which hopelessly dogged my steps in attempting to write my first choral work).

Schoenberg was no slouch either. i've never warmed in particular to the Boulezerie, but Petrassi's serial works have always struck me as quite underrated.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: