The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:54:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Music from Kiev

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Music from Kiev  (Read 510 times)
guest377
« on: March 24, 2014, 04:47:42 pm »

I noticed that a lot of CDs and LPs have been pulled off of the shelves here in Kiev.... its somewhat scary the situation here.   
If you thought about buying anything Ukrainian.. I would recommend you do it soon.   

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest377
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 04:50:46 pm »

by the way, what Russia did to Crimea is what the Soviet Union did to the Baltics in 1939.. same strategy...
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 12:26:12 am »

Hear hear. And Hungary in 1956, Czechslovakia in 1968,.... In Moscow in 1968 dissidents, particularly artists, expressed their opposition to what their government had done. Has the same happened this time round?
Report Spam   Logged
guest182
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 06:03:34 am »

what Russia did to Crimea

It's just a natural reaction to the predatory and fascistic America-led gangster-capitalists creeping ever further eastwards.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 10:54:16 am »

In my mind, Russia giving up the Ukraine is akin to the US giving up Texas(who might also prefer to be a sovereign nation) in these dark days.
Russia will not repeat the same mistakes of the past by acquiring places they cannot manage. But The Ukraine is the under-belly of the Mother Russia. Why are we so naive to think Russia would not fight to keep it? The other countries bordering Russia are not threatened.

End of story.. 
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 02:35:07 pm »

In my mind, Russia giving up the Ukraine is akin to the US giving up Texas(who might also prefer to be a sovereign nation) in these dark days.
Russia will not repeat the same mistakes of the past by acquiring places they cannot manage. But The Ukraine is the under-belly of the Mother Russia. Why are we so naive to think Russia would not fight to keep it? The other countries bordering Russia are not threatened.

End of story.. 

Jolly Roger... as a Texan, its not akin to the US giving up Texas but more like Virginia (Williamstown) or perhaps Massachusetts (Plymouth Rock... actually I wouldn't mind giving away Massachusetts) .  The US was already a country when Texas joined to the union (not annexed, "joined").     

Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 07:07:06 pm »

End of story.. 

A complete non-comparison.  And you still say "The Ukraine"?! Really? 

Ukraine is a sovereign independent nation, recognised around the world, with a seat at the UN etc etc.  If you want to change borders, you do it by treaty and negotiation, that has been the bedrock of the post-WW2 world order.  Russia has deemed Crimea Russian territory and taken it within a month.  Texas is a part of the USA.  Ukraine is not a part of Russia.

It never ceases to amaze me that Russia does this, and then accuses OTHERS of fascism and interference - and that apologists around the world (or "useful idiots" as Lenin called them) repeat the charge.  How much more interfering can you get than to seize part of another country's territory?!

Even in the USSR Ukraine was not in Russia but was a separate constituent part.  Russia insists it is the successor state to the USSR, so it can't cherry-pick the decisions made by Moscow in those days that it doesn't like - and that includes the 1954 transfer, ratified by the Soviet parliament, of Crimea to Ukraine.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 08:23:13 pm »

AND???
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile