The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:28:17 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What has happened to Kyjo(Kyle)?

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What has happened to Kyjo(Kyle)?  (Read 3105 times)
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2014, 07:35:00 am »

One of the "aspects" of that other forum which upset Kyle and which, most definitely, upset ME too was the vicious animosity demonstrated by one or two members towards us. Like Kyle, I was the target of dreadfully abusive posts and private messages from a couple of members.

I was accused of mounting a quite deliberate campaign to "denigrate" atonal music, that my protestations that I was only attempting to promote the sort of music I happen to like and not to cast aspersions on other music or on the tastes of those who do appreciate those composers I do not, were insincere and akin to racists who denied being racially bigoted. I was compelled to block some of these members.

I know that Kyle had similar experiences and was upset by them. Greg has used the words "fawning", "breathless" and "vacuous" to describe Kyle's initial posts on the UC site, whilst also commenting that his posts demonstrated "a tremendous maturation of discrimination and articulateness in his observations and judgements" as time passed.

Different people clearly expect different things from online forums. This is not a University of the Air in which members' posts should be graded against some standard set by any one member. Inevitably one comes to expect different types of posts, different levels of knowledge, different degrees of analytical discussion and debate from particular individuals. If I happen to think that a particular member has little of interest to say I would rather ignore their posts than criticise them for what they have written.

The distinguishing characteristic of THIS forum has been the good humour and, above all, the civility and good manners of its members. If that appears to render it less "lively" than other forums then so be it.

I am well aware that my views and judgments on music might well, equally, be characterised by some as superficial. I have never made any secret of my lack of technical musical knowledge.  If however I am to be required to scrutinise my own posts and subject them to critical analysis before submitting them then I will find other ways of occupying the very little spare time I have rather than risk the ire, indignation and disapproval of others.
No need to apologize because that implies you did something improper, which is a flawed thought. The offense is clearly in the opposite direction and an apology should originate from that party(but should not ever be expected.)..the mindset is contrary to it.
One does not need to be thick-skinned to advocate music they like. But put your armor and padding if you dare to rebuff any atonal music..I'm thinking  those personalities may sometimes align with the nature of the music...
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2014, 07:45:15 am »

It should perhaps be pointed out that there have been several precedents; let us not entirely despair:

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19477.msg758267.html#msg758267

I hope he was not this time put off by the absurd Dr. Whatnot.

Thank GOD nothing bad has happened to him...I wish him the best!!!
I'm guessing it may have been the Barnett thread that triggered the retreat
but he had the character not to disclose the issue, lest someone be offended..
Whatever it was, it
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2014, 01:24:42 pm »

I only wrote my last post as I did because Kyle himself told me how hurt he had been by negative comments on his postings on that other forum.

When a young man embarks on a voyage of discovery into the vast world of so-called "classical music" we should encourage his enthusiasms. Many(most?) young folk today treat this type of music as a closed book-for all manner of different reasons. That is a tragedy-for all of us.

I have said this before but I shall repeat it nevertheless. When the Havergal Brian Gothic Symphony was performed at the London Proms I deliberately bought two tickets, one for myself and one for my 30 year old greatnephew, a jazz drummer who had never heard of Havergal Brian and knows comparatively little about orchestral music. Not only did he come to the performance but he was completely bowled over by it and had tears in his eyes at the end of the piece. Naturally I then bought him the cd as a Christmas present :)
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2014, 08:59:43 pm »

It should perhaps be pointed out that there have been several precedents; let us not entirely despair:

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19477.msg758267.html#msg758267

Whatever it was, it

You're all confused JR.  Look at the date of Kyjo's GMG post that Gerald references.  It relates to a PREVIOUS "absence and return" by Kyle from and to an online forum, which Gerald suggests may offer promise for the eventual remediation of Kyle's present disappearance here (and at GMG), - which remains unresolved.

Concerning the "Barnett thread" as a possible provocation for Kyle's "retreat", - why?  It was Kyjo himself who initiated it with some none too kind remarks about one "Dr Wright".  To think the coarseness of much of what followed (at his instigation, - as he later humorously admitted) then wounded his sensibilities to the point of some principled departure seems rather strained and fanciful IMO.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2014, 10:19:28 pm »

Whatever it was, it

You're all confused JR.  Look at the date of Kyjo's GMG post that Gerald references.  It relates to a PREVIOUS "absence and return" by Kyle from and to an online forum, which Gerald suggests may offer promise for the eventual remediation of Kyle's present disappearance here (and at GMG), - which remains unresolved.

Concerning the "Barnett thread" as a possible provocation for Kyle's "retreat", - why?  It was Kyjo himself who initiated it with some none too kind remarks about one "Dr Wright".  To think the coarseness of much of what followed (at his instigation) then wounded his sensibilities to the point of some principled departure seems rather strained and fanciful IMO.
Sorry, this half-wit admits you are correct about the GMG post.
Perhaps I was hoping in vain for a glass half-full instead of half-empty.
Out of politeness, I will reserve comment of the balance of the post, which was merely personal opinion.

I have also learned some important life lessons from this forum. One is that negative opinions about someone (or something) often engenders an emotional and often irrational discussion, especially when it is not asked for. That is what may be going on here and it is a 3rd rail for any continuing dialogue...hence the BIN. 

If I am walking with two other men, each of them will serve as my teacher. I will pick out the good points of the one and imitate them, and the bad points of the other and correct them in myself.
Not me..Confucious

Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2014, 10:53:50 pm »

The former schoolteacher in me loves to see enthusiasm......as opposed to the sometimes bored, uninterested, cynicism which is an affectation of some young people.

There are plenty of young people who have an interest in "our kind of music". Many of them actively participate in music-making through playing an instrument, singng in a choir or so on. I know a number and have some as friends. Their expertise is remarkable and their enthusiasm highly commendable.One postgraduate student friend knows more about Mahler and the Mahler discography than do most people three times his age. There is no questioning the depth of their knowledge but it often surprises me (although I know it shouldn't ;D) that they have never heard of large numbers of composers. That sort of breadth of knowledge-though it may sometimes be characterised as superficial-comes through time as one is exposed to more and more music composed by different composers. The young conductor will broaden his repertoire as his career progresses.

Inevitably and unsurprisingly when that enthusiasm is for the same sort of music I happen to like best and when the individual in question has an astonishingly "broad" awareness (at least ;D) of the repertoire and when, in addition, he appears to have a love of the very British music of which I am so fond it is a pleasure to welcome such a "fellow spirit"-although we disagreed strongly about Rachmaninov ;D ;D

It is as straightforward as that. And I make no, nor do I need any, apology.

.......and perhaps this is where we might best leave this matter ???
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2014, 01:36:58 am »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRG GGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2014, 10:22:26 am »

Could I point out that if and when he returns, he will read this thread?
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2014, 05:31:37 pm »

Could I point out that if and when he returns, he will read this thread?

If I had a 40 post thread devoted to my absence from the forum for a couple of months I'd be tickled to read just about anything in it, - a bit of honest critique amidst all the adulation notwithstanding.

Kyle has a new girl is my most recent speculation concerning his AWOL status.  If no one can admit he's simply taking a much needed break from full-time life on the forum, could a more charming rationale than that one be suggested? :D
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: