The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:52:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Malcolm Williamson (1931-2003)

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Malcolm Williamson (1931-2003)  (Read 3928 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2014, 06:32:57 pm »

I quite agree with you, Jamie. This is a stunning and most welcome release - the third concerto is possibly the finest of the lot, but all works on these two discs are enormously attractive and thought-provoking attention-grabbers.

Chandos really should pick up their Williamson series again and look at some of the ballets and the remaining symphonies. In response to my post on the Chandos (classicalshop) forum Ralph Couzens replied that

Sales figures were not that great which made the Iceland Symphony Orchestra nervous.
The more recent series of Vincent D'Indy from that source has been more successful.
However, as you have pointed out there is much more Malcolm Williamson that needs our attention and I am certain Rumon Gamba will be eager to continue the series, but perhaps not in Iceland.

So there may be a glimmer of hope there.

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2014, 07:27:08 am »

Yes, possible good news! Come on, Chandos, remember your roots!
Report Spam   Logged
tappell
Level 1

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2014, 12:06:06 pm »

"I knew that shop very well! It was near to Foyles. I also discovered much Miaskovsky in that shop and books on Soviet Art etc. Happy memories!"

Yes happy memories indeed. I am pretty sure it was in Manette Street, and was a veritable treasure trove.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2014, 06:27:34 pm »

Yo,Chandos!! ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2014, 09:36:37 pm »

Hmmmm!

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much.

Sorry if my pessimism demonstrates my general cynicism :(
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2014, 04:38:56 pm »

A serious omission from our archive is the large-scale Mass of Christ the King, which Williamson infamously failed to complete in time for the 1977 Silver Jubilee celebrations. There were two [sic] broadcasts - I wonder if any member has either or both:

the incomplete version, broadcast from the 1977 Gloucester Three Choirs Festival, conducted by John Sanders (25/8/1977);

the completed version, conducted by Charles Groves (broadcast 3/11/1978)

Cross-post to alert members:

After some remedial work, I have at last been able to add not one, but two broadcasts of Malcolm Williamson's monumental Mass of Christ the King (1970-78) to the archive - the premiere of the complete score under Charles Groves (1978) and the splendid performance at the Perth (Scotland) Festival (1981) under John Currie. Full performance details are in the catalogue.

Here is the structure of the score:

PART ONE:

Introductory Rite

1. Hymnus Primus [Hymn I] - Andante
2. Introitus [Introit] - Andante moderato
3. Kyrie - Andante largo
4. Gloria - Allegro giocoso

Liturgy of the Word

5. Psalmus Responsorius [Responsorial Psalm] - Moderato
6. Alleluia - Allegro vivo
7. Credo - Allegro con moto

PART TWO:

Liturgy of the Eucharist

8. Hymnus Secundus [Hymn II] - Andante allegretto
9. Offertorium - Poco adagio
10. Sanctus - Andante lento
11. Benedictus - Andante lento

Rite of Communion

12. Pater Noster [The Lord's Prayer] - Largo ma non troppo
13. Agnus Dei - Andantino
14. Psalmus Communionis [Communion Psalm] - Maestoso

Concluding Rite

15. lte Missa Est [The Dismissal] - Allegro
16. Hymnus Tertius [Hymn III] - Adagio molto

I have organised the files into the two main subdivisions of the work.

Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2017, 04:31:05 pm »

After enjoying Malcolm Williamson's opera,Our Man in Havana (well,the first part of it. I only finished editing my recording of the remainder onto a cd-r,yesterday!) I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on his Symphony No 6,which is available as an upload here? Billed (I believe?) as,"the world’s first ‘transcontinental’ symphony".
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2017, 05:26:40 pm »

Daniel Jones would certainly have refused the post. He loathed the whole London "music scene" and was perfectly happy to live and work in South Wales (Swansea).

Now, you might say, Maxwell Davies has somewhat renounced the metropolitan south to live and work in Orkney...but that sort of "eccentricity" (as it might be perceived) or individuality is more acceptable today.

Jones was also almost completely unknown to the general musical public; a couple of Lyrita cds only ???

Hoddinott ??? Well, despite his image as the composer of dark, nocturnal, a trifle complex music, Hoddinott could compose in a lighter vein (the Welsh Dances, for example) and might have made a decent fist of it. But, again, he was Welsh and was not based in London-which Williamson was.

Anyway....the powers that be did not consult those of us who were around at the time and opted for Williamson-who, at the time, had a growing reputation and was "in favour" with the establishment and the critics............from which he, very rapidly, fell out of favour again :(
Jones is a gifted prolific composer..
BTW..does anyone have Daniel Jones 6th symphony, it is the only missing tooth in my set of 13!!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2018, 03:56:31 pm »

On the way through town today,listening to my Tecsun PL- 310ET pocket radio ;which uses a very advanced chip,by the way (meaning it locks onto weak FM,even when reception is patchy!) I tuned into Radio 4. "Oh no,not another boring Drama!",I thought. Suddenly,one of the characters revealed (to another) that his name was Malcolm Williamson. "That Malcolm Williamson?",I thought. Then,the character mentioned,wearily, that 1977 was a very bad year,and "it had been in all the papers". Of course,he was referring to his failiure to complete the Jubilee Symphony.The play (or Drama!) is called "1977",and,actually,concerns his failure to complete a score for the film,Watership Down (I remember every kid in the school seemed to be jabbering on about the book,at the time!) I didn't know he'd composed any music for that! I was quite relieved to find that he didn't compose,it's hit (No 1,for six weeks) song,Bright eyes (Burning like fire.....etc,etc!! ;D) I did actually watch the cartoon about a year,or two back,while at a loose end. I remember being amused when it emerged that there had been complaints,from some viewers, about the level of graphic violence in the film,after it was shown! Bunnies beating each other up! Whatever next?!! Disgusting!! >:( ;D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06r8gms

https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2016/mar/31/watership-down-bbfc-ratings-easter-sunday-comment
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2018, 05:49:36 pm »

Sadly Williamson had a serious drinking problem

He was, of course, not the only composer of whom that could be said. Malcolm Arnold's problems are well-documented but there were a number of others whose lives were shortened by drink (although Sibelius was not one it appears!)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2018, 09:15:04 pm »

yes,sad! I might have a listen to that Drama,while it's still on the 'Listen again',on the Radio 4 website. Bad luck on Williamson,too,for being less than perfect!! ::) :(
Report Spam   Logged
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

Times thanked: 42

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2018, 09:34:49 am »

Re Sibelius and the bottle, in the 1950s Robert Simpson eagerly asked some of Nielsen's family members and friends whether they could remember any of Nielsen and Sibelius's conversations about music when Sibelius used to stay with the Nielsens in Copenhagen. 'No', they replied, 'Sibelius was always drunk!'
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2018, 07:41:27 am »

Greetings all!
I haven't posted here for a while but am also a refugee from GMG Forum. Good to see old friends Dundonnell (whose posts I miss at GMG Forum) and cilgwyn here.
Back to Williamson. I was very,pleased to catch the drama '1977' on the radio the other day. The saga of the Watership Down soundtrack is quite a story in itself, featuring the work of three composers. All credit to Angela Morley for stepping in at the last moment to complete the score after MW bottled out (no pun intended). I was interested to discover that Angela Morley was once 'Wally Stott' the composer of the famous tuba theme music for 'Hancock's Half-Hour'. I love the Watership Down score which has recently been remastered by Dutton. Williamson's opening title and prologue are very atmospheric and Morley's pastoral score is memorable. I have no objection to 'Bright Eyes' which I associate with a brief and disastrous romance!
Williamson is an underrated composer - there is an excellent biography 'The Mischievous Muse'. He had a rather trouble life. I especially like his 'Elevamini' (Symphony 1) and have both the recordings by Groves and Gamba, which are both excellent. A pity that Chandos only recorded two CDs of his music.
Anyway, nice to be back in circulation here.  :)
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2021, 10:28:03 am »

Listening again to the piano concertos as recorded on Hyperion I'm struck by just how attractive and inventive these are - strongly melodic, suitably virtuosic and superbly orchestrated. These are stunning performances...

...and there is a good representation of his music in the archive:

Piano Concerto No.2 (1960)+++
Malcolm Williamson, piano/ BBC CO/ Ashley Lawrence

Piano Concerto No.2 (1960)<>
Malcolm Williamson, piano/ The Francis Chagrin O/ Francis Chagrin

The Happy Prince (1965)~~~~
Pauline Stevens, alto (Prince); April Cantelo, sop (Swallow); Sheila Rex, alto (Mayor); Jean Allister, mezzo (Seamstress); Maureen Lehane, mezzo (Author); Iris Kells, sop (Match-girl); Margaret Humphrey-Clark, sop (Son); Doreen Price, sop (Rich Girl)/ Guildhall Chamber Choir/ Malcolm Williamson and Richard Rodney Bennett, pianos/ Neville Marriner and Anthony Howard, violins/ Stephen Shingles, viola/ Joy Hall, cello/ John Gray, double-bass/ James Holland and Tristan Fry, percussion/ Marcus Dods (Argo LP ZNF5, 1966)

Serenade and Aubade for Strings (1965)+++
BBC CO/ Vilem Tausky

Symphonic Variations (1965)<>
RPO/ Charles Groves

Julius Caesar Jones (1965-66)~~~~
David Pinto, alto (Julius Caesar Jones); April Cantelo, sop (Mrs Everett); Marcel Maurel, bar (Mr Everett); Norma Procter, alto (Nora Whyley); Michael Gingold, treble (John Everett); Elizabeth Eatwell, sop (Elizabeth Everett); Nigel Dant, treble (Ambrose Everett); Hilary Ann Salinger, sop (Susan Whyley); Richard Kahn, treble (Harvey Tooley Savidge); Bruce Webb, alto (Silas Gapteeth); Chandrika Angadi, sop (Aloma); Marie-Therese Pinto, sop (Babs); Sonya Levett, sop (Babs); Helen Rosenthal, mezzo (Leopard); Peter Lovett, treble (Toomie); Geoffrey Seaman, treble (Bimbo)/ Finchley Children’s Music Group/ David Seaman, piano/ Neville Marriner and Diane Cummings, violins/ Stephen Shingles, viola/ Kenneth Heath, cello/
John Gray, double-bass/ William Bennett, flute/ Michael Dobson, oboe/ Thea King, clarinet/ Martin Gatt, bassoon/ Douglas Moore, horn/ Maria Korchinska, harp/ James Holland, percussion/ Jon Andrewes (Argo LP ZRG 529)

The Brilliant and the Dark (1966)*
April Cantelo, sop; Sally Lesage, sop; Alfreda Hodgson, alto; Norma Procter, alto/ Avalon Singers/ Llewellyn Singers/ English Chamber O/ Antony Hopkins (Readers Digest LP RDS 9351/2, 1977)

The Violins of Saint Jacques (1966)****
Brian O'Keeffe, ten (Basket Man/ Gontran); James Singleton, bar (Old Fisherman); Peter Janssen, ten (Oarsman); Handel Thomas, bass (Oarsman); Peter Tracey, bar (Netman); Michael Chattin, bass (Netman); April Cantelo, sop (Berthe); David Hillman, ten (Sosthene); Shirley Chapman, mezzo (Josephine); Tom McDonnell, bar (Sciocca); Raimund Herincx, bar (Agenor); James Singleton, bar (Gentilien); Jennifer Vyvyan, sop (Mathilde); Emile Belcourt, ten (Joubert); Frances Reid, sop (Madame Sciocca); Peter Tracey, bar (Governor Sciocca); Noel Drennan, ten (Francois); Ann Robson, mezzo (Maman Zelie)/ Chorus of Sadler's Wells/ O of Sadler's Wells/ John Barker (5/12/1968, br. 5/6/1969)

The Stone Wall (1971)≈≈≈
BBC Chorus/ BBC Choral Society/ BBC SO/ Colin Davis (br. 18/9/1971)

Concerto for Two Pianos and String Orchestra (1972)+++
Gwenneth Pryor and Malcolm Williamson, pianos/ BBC SSO/ Yuval Zaliuk (br. 4/5/1974)

Perisynthion, ballet (1974)<>
BBC CO/ Christopher Austin

Hammarskjold Portrait for Soprano and Strings(1974)+++
April Cantelo, sop/ BBC CO/ Ashley Lawrence

Mass of Christ the King (1970-78)
Eilene Hannan, sop; Elizabeth Connell, mezzo; Philip Langridge, ten; Brian Rayner Cook, bar/ Three Choirs Festival Chorus/ Goldsmith's Choral Union/ RPO/ Charles Groves (3/11/1978)

Mass of Christ the King (1970-78)
Helen Walker, sop; Eilene Hannan, sop; Neil Mackie, ten; Brian Rayner Cook, bar/ Scottish National Opera Chorus/ BBC SSO/ John Currie (20/5/1981)

Symphony No.5, Aquero (1979-80)+++
BBC Welsh SO/ Norman Del Mar (br. 6/1/1982)

Josip Broz Tito, a Tribute in Music (1981)<>
Brian Rayner Cook, bar/ BBC PO/ Vernon Handley

Symphony No.6, Liturgy of Hommage (1982)<>
Adelaide SO, Melbourne SO, Queensland O, Sydney SO, Tasmanian SO, West Australian SO and Darwin SO, all linked electronically/ Paul McDermott

With Proud Thanksgiving (1995)<>
BBC CO/ Christopher Austin

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: