The Art-Music Forum
October 23, 2017, 10:33:01 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Malcolm Williamson (1931-2003)

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Malcolm Williamson (1931-2003)  (Read 1236 times)
Albion
Level 5

Times thanked: 42

Henry Hugo Pierson (1815-1873)

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2014, 06:32:57 pm »

I quite agree with you, Jamie. This is a stunning and most welcome release - the third concerto is possibly the finest of the lot, but all works on these two discs are enormously attractive and thought-provoking attention-grabbers.

Chandos really should pick up their Williamson series again and look at some of the ballets and the remaining symphonies. In response to my post on the Chandos (classicalshop) forum Ralph Couzens replied that

Sales figures were not that great which made the Iceland Symphony Orchestra nervous.
The more recent series of Vincent D'Indy from that source has been more successful.
However, as you have pointed out there is much more Malcolm Williamson that needs our attention and I am certain Rumon Gamba will be eager to continue the series, but perhaps not in Iceland.

So there may be a glimmer of hope there.

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2014, 07:27:08 am »

Yes, possible good news! Come on, Chandos, remember your roots!
Report Spam   Logged
tappell
Level 1

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2014, 12:06:06 pm »

"I knew that shop very well! It was near to Foyles. I also discovered much Miaskovsky in that shop and books on Soviet Art etc. Happy memories!"

Yes happy memories indeed. I am pretty sure it was in Manette Street, and was a veritable treasure trove.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 6

Times thanked: 11

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2014, 06:27:34 pm »

Yo,Chandos!! Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 86

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2014, 09:36:37 pm »

Hmmmm!

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much.

Sorry if my pessimism demonstrates my general cynicism Sad
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 5

Times thanked: 42

Henry Hugo Pierson (1815-1873)

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2014, 04:38:56 pm »

A serious omission from our archive is the large-scale Mass of Christ the King, which Williamson infamously failed to complete in time for the 1977 Silver Jubilee celebrations. There were two [sic] broadcasts - I wonder if any member has either or both:

the incomplete version, broadcast from the 1977 Gloucester Three Choirs Festival, conducted by John Sanders (25/8/1977);

the completed version, conducted by Charles Groves (broadcast 3/11/1978)

Cross-post to alert members:

After some remedial work, I have at last been able to add not one, but two broadcasts of Malcolm Williamson's monumental Mass of Christ the King (1970-78) to the archive - the premiere of the complete score under Charles Groves (1978) and the splendid performance at the Perth (Scotland) Festival (1981) under John Currie. Full performance details are in the catalogue.

Here is the structure of the score:

PART ONE:

Introductory Rite

1. Hymnus Primus [Hymn I] - Andante
2. Introitus [Introit] - Andante moderato
3. Kyrie - Andante largo
4. Gloria - Allegro giocoso

Liturgy of the Word

5. Psalmus Responsorius [Responsorial Psalm] - Moderato
6. Alleluia - Allegro vivo
7. Credo - Allegro con moto

PART TWO:

Liturgy of the Eucharist

8. Hymnus Secundus [Hymn II] - Andante allegretto
9. Offertorium - Poco adagio
10. Sanctus - Andante lento
11. Benedictus - Andante lento

Rite of Communion

12. Pater Noster [The Lord's Prayer] - Largo ma non troppo
13. Agnus Dei - Andantino
14. Psalmus Communionis [Communion Psalm] - Maestoso

Concluding Rite

15. lte Missa Est [The Dismissal] - Allegro
16. Hymnus Tertius [Hymn III] - Adagio molto

I have organised the files into the two main subdivisions of the work.

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 6

Times thanked: 11

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2017, 04:31:05 pm »

After enjoying Malcolm Williamson's opera,Our Man in Havana (well,the first part of it. I only finished editing my recording of the remainder onto a cd-r,yesterday!) I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on his Symphony No 6,which is available as an upload here? Billed (I believe?) as,"the world’s first ‘transcontinental’ symphony".
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 7

Times thanked: 46

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2017, 05:26:40 pm »

Daniel Jones would certainly have refused the post. He loathed the whole London "music scene" and was perfectly happy to live and work in South Wales (Swansea).

Now, you might say, Maxwell Davies has somewhat renounced the metropolitan south to live and work in Orkney...but that sort of "eccentricity" (as it might be perceived) or individuality is more acceptable today.

Jones was also almost completely unknown to the general musical public; a couple of Lyrita cds only Huh

Hoddinott Huh Well, despite his image as the composer of dark, nocturnal, a trifle complex music, Hoddinott could compose in a lighter vein (the Welsh Dances, for example) and might have made a decent fist of it. But, again, he was Welsh and was not based in London-which Williamson was.

Anyway....the powers that be did not consult those of us who were around at the time and opted for Williamson-who, at the time, had a growing reputation and was "in favour" with the establishment and the critics............from which he, very rapidly, fell out of favour again Sad
Jones is a gifted prolific composer..
BTW..does anyone have Daniel Jones 6th symphony, it is the only missing tooth in my set of 13!!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: