The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:09:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Malcolm Williamson (1931-2003)

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Malcolm Williamson (1931-2003)  (Read 3945 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2014, 05:37:08 pm »

Although I read this forum avidly, I do not usually venture to write,primarily because there are much better informed people here than I and many of you seem to know each other well, no doubt through long association. However Malcolm Williamson, his music and life are a particular passion of mine.

I was particularly disappointed when Chandos abandoned their series of Williamson's music after Volumes 1 and 2. There were rumours that they were to record his opera 'The Violins Of St. Jacques'. Listening to the download from the library here, it is a very approachable piece, with some beautiful music particularly the aria "How can I explain to you?", recorded separately by Cheryl Barker. Williamson wrote in various styles, and my own view was instinctively a romantic pulled around somewhat by twelve tone techniques, training with Elizabeth Luytens, the BBC and the musical establishment. He also spent time working with Benjamin Britten, but listening to an interview by Williamson on Britten, he seemed to have been discarded for daring to question Britten. I would believe that could be sour grapes, were it not for the fact that I have read Imogen Holsts life story, who devoted much of her life to helping Britten, and wouldn't hear a word against him, but the way they parted company leaves a bitter taste.

He sometimes used one of my favourite techniques dissonance leading to beauty. You only have to listen to his 'Lento For Strings', 'Our Man In Havana', and Overture 'Santiago de Espada' to realise he was more than capable of writing accessible music.

Hyperion have just recorded and released his complete Piano Concertos, so at least one enterprising record company is testing the water in a substantial way.

Which leads me to express my gratitude to those who have worked tirelessly on this forum, and has enabled me to hear works by Williamson I would never otherwise have heard.

Thank you.

I admire your modesty;but if I worried too much about things like that (and I do! :() I'd never write anything here!! ??? :( ;D The brazen know-it-all types are what bother me! ::) No one like that here,thank goodness!

Write more,tappell!!!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: