The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 18, 2024, 12:31:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Malcolm Williamson (1931-2003)

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Malcolm Williamson (1931-2003)  (Read 3965 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: March 14, 2014, 01:09:39 pm »

I completely agree with you, John :)

Williamson was a strange choice for Master of the Queen's Music when Arthur Bliss died in 1975. We know the famous comment by William Walton: "They picked the wrong Malcolm!!" As you say however, both Malcolms had a tragic self-destructive streak and Malcolm Arnold would have been a more obvious but, probably, less appropriate choice-given his decline in the 1980s.

It is sad that so many of Malcolm Williamson's music is still unavailable (or, indeed, unheard); I am not aware that the Symphony No.4 "Jubilee"-another Royal commission has ever been played ::) The rapid termination of the "Malcolm Williamson Series" by Chandos (as so too the abortion of their Richard Rodney Bennett Series), after only 2 cd releases does that company no favours :(

Williamson's music is uneven. He was not immune to being influenced by some rather offbeat notions in the 70s and 80s. We are fortunate to have quite a few compositions available in our Archive and I was rather impressed by the recent addition (via You Tube) of the Josip Broz Tito Tribute. I suppose also that Williamson is one of these composers who falls between two national stools: is he a British composer because he was domiiciled in the UK for most of his adult life (like Arthur Benjamin) or do we regard him as an Australian ??? Australia seems to have largely forgotten his existence.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: