The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 20, 2024, 10:59:01 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Abuse of Dr David Wright

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Abuse of Dr David Wright  (Read 7118 times)
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2014, 11:09:45 pm »

I thought this thread died the death back in March ... it's not clear why it needed to bounce back again.
Report Spam   Logged
guest54
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2014, 12:48:18 am »

better things to do.
Ah, yes - a phrase familiar to me from a passage in Norman Douglas's Alone that I set years ago...

Was it perhaps this passage Mr. H.?

"Consider well your neighbour, what an imbecile he is. Then ask yourself whether it be worth while paying any attention to what he thinks of you. Life
is too short, and death the end of all things. Life must be lived, not endured. Were the day twice as long as it is, a man might find it diverting to probe down into that unsatisfactory fellow-creature and try to reach some common root of feeling other than those physiological needs which we share with every beast of earth. Diverting; hardly profitable. It would be like looking for a flea in a haystack, or a joke in the Bible. They can perhaps be found; at the expense of how much trouble!

"Therefore the sage will go his way, prepared to find himself growing ever more out of sympathy with vulgar trends of opinion, for such is the inevitable development of thoughtful and self-respecting minds. He scorns to make proselytes among his fellows: they are not worth it. He has better things to do. While others nurse their griefs, he nurses his joy. He endeavours to find himself at no matter what cost, and to be true to that self when found—a worthy and ample occupation for a life-time. The happiness-of-the-greatest-number of those who pasture on delusions: what dreamer is responsible for this eunuchry? Mill, was it? Bentham, more likely. As if the greatest-number were not necessarily the least-intelligent! As if their happiness were not necessarily incompatible with that of the sage! Why foster it? He is a poor philosopher, who cuts his own throat. Away with their ghosts; de-spiritualise yourself; what you cannot find on earth is not worth seeking."

(An excellent book; I am most grateful for the recommendation. Here's the whole thing: https://ia600304.us.archive.org/10/items/alone00douggoog/ )
Report Spam   Logged
Jim
Level 2

Times thanked: 10

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2014, 03:27:19 am »

I thought this thread died the death back in March ... it's not clear why it needed to bounce back again.
Well...some of us have had 'better things to do'. Nevertheless having chanced upon this thread recently I found it interesting. It is good debate material. Since I have an interest in British composers, Mr Wright's short biographies would be a good resource were it not for lazy scholarship in not providing references and sources, especially in support of his more contentious statements. Affirmanti Incumbit Probatio is a pretty good maxim.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: