The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:29:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Abuse of Dr David Wright

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Abuse of Dr David Wright  (Read 7116 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 11:20:09 pm »

;D

Thankfully, lots of common sense here at AMF. There is a clear divide between academics and pseudo-academics. David Wright has made valuable musicological contributions in the past, but now appears to be stuck in a judgmental, repetitive artistic void, coupled with an unsubstantiated sense of self-aggrandizement. It never fails to amaze me, as an atheist, just how uncharitable are the opinions of many so-called Christians. Vide this utter cobblers - http://www.christian-moral.net/pdf/homosexuality.pdf.

::)

Let's get back to more important things, i.e. music and it's impact on our (all too brief) individual existence.

;D
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2014, 11:32:34 pm »

It is not often that I laugh aloud at a post on here (or anywhere) but Alistair's post did raise a definite chuckle :)

Well said, John (in both your recent posts) :)

Since cilgwyn rose to the challenge I (self-indulgently) laid down I felt that I had to respond (in one of my very rare attempts at humour ;D) but it is definitely time to move on......
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2014, 12:32:05 am »

No doubt there are many Christians who are charitable. It's the ones who bang on about it that annoy me. Live and let live I say! Although,I would probably be a bit surprised if one of our members revealed that he was a member of a witches coven! Especially,if they were to reveal it here!! Still,maybe they could put a spell on that other forum or Chandos records,so they would give us a Daniel Jones cycle!!
Not that I believe in that sort of thing of course! :o ;D

A pity we have to move on! Just when the mood has lightened! I was just thinking that it was a pity that Aries Records aren't still around to record Dundonnell conducting Arnold Cooke. Unfortunately,knowing them they would probably issue the cd under the guise of some obscure outfit and conductor that no one has ever heard of like,Adrian Boult and the LPO. And where are those Aries people now,by the way? I wish one of them would join this forum. I have always wondered who they were and what made them tic? (Not to mention,who pressed the vinyl and designed,if that's the right word for it,those groovy record sleeves,etc?!!) Presumably they were motivated by the same frustrations about the record industries choice of repertoire that occupy members of this forum now. Unlike them,we do things a little differently,of course!! (And luckily for us,we wouldn't have to press vinyl!!)

As to moving on! To what I wonder? More debates with Dr David Wright?!! It's only fair that he should have a chance to respond! And he certainly has!!!

Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2014, 09:18:03 am »

As for Dowson "her(?)"self, it is perhaps unsurprising to find that "she" appears - for all "her" alleged "MMus" degree (from where?) status - to be entirely unreferenced other than in pieces by, about or otherwise connected to Wright ...

A little Googling reveals that Linda Karen Dowson appears to be employed by the Isle of Wight County Press (a fine firm with a long tradition). I think it is unfair to expect her to list the provenance of her degree unless she were actually applying for a job. If I put "PhD" after my name, I don't expect people to question it because I didn't also put the university.
Report Spam   Logged
Admin
Administrator
Level 8

Times thanked: 53

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 01:01:58 pm »

In view of our rule number two, I would like to ask Members contributing to this thread in future to refrain from using the words "you," "your," "yours" and "yourself." Doesn't the House of Commons have something similar? I count no fewer than sixteen instances in the preceding post!! I hope it can be edited. Thanks. . . . And let's all warmly welcome our new Member!
Report Spam   Logged
northern
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2014, 02:24:17 pm »

I have removed the post to which the administrator refers as I am in no position to edit it at the moment. Apologies if I overused the second person singular. I see what you mean!
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2014, 07:55:27 pm »

In view of our rule number two, I would like to ask Members contributing to this thread in future to refrain from using the words "you," "your," "yours" and "yourself." Doesn't the House of Commons have something similar? I count no fewer than sixteen instances in the preceding post!! I hope it can be edited. Thanks. . . . And let's all warmly welcome our new Member!
Is that not difficult to do if a post is expressly addressing one by another poster by way of response? - or are you seeking to discourage that kind of approach altogether?
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2014, 07:59:33 pm »

As for Dowson "her(?)"self, it is perhaps unsurprising to find that "she" appears - for all "her" alleged "MMus" degree (from where?) status - to be entirely unreferenced other than in pieces by, about or otherwise connected to Wright ...

A little Googling reveals that Linda Karen Dowson appears to be employed by the Isle of Wight County Press (a fine firm with a long tradition). I think it is unfair to expect her to list the provenance of her degree unless she were actually applying for a job. If I put "PhD" after my name, I don't expect people to question it because I didn't also put the university.
By "unreferenced" I did not mean referenced by herself; I meant that there's no evidence (at least that I can find) of her, with or without a, MMus degree, having contributed anything to any publication other than the handful in which she appears hand in glove with Wright himself; even a search for her name within the search facility on the website of the Isle of Wight County Press (which you mention) returns nothing.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2014, 10:00:10 pm »

sounds lie a well-intended suggestion which we should follow, but be advised,
following the lead of rude and zealous politicians is not necessarily a worthy reccomendation..
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2014, 02:07:44 am »

The way I see it, nothing is ever 100%, so take what you think is useful and quickly discard that which is not, let it fade from memory lest it consume more of your time than it merits.
It is also difficult to espouse deeply felt negative musical opinions, one must first consider those who may not agree. It may sometimes best to be silent.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 02:48:35 am by the Administration » Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2014, 02:25:40 am »

Yes.....let's bury this thread now.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2014, 03:21:51 am »

Well I certainly hope not! I would love to see more contributions from Dr. Wright - if only since it would give me the opportunity to expound in detail the multitude of points upon which I suspect we disagree, and to explain my reasons and the principles upon which they are based. Specifically Schubert, Chopin, Scryabine, Elgar, Britten, and the relationship between sexuality and composition. Material for six separate threads, in fact. At the present stage this thread refers to material posted elsewhere and persons I have never heard of. Who is this Barnett? Who is Mr. Veale? It would be nice to have some further information and to see some links!
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2014, 04:02:46 am »

I'm with Dundonnell!!
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2014, 10:28:07 am »

Well I certainly hope not! I would love to see more contributions from Dr. Wright - if only since it would give me the opportunity to expound in detail the multitude of points upon which I suspect we disagree, and to explain my reasons and the principles upon which they are based. Specifically Schubert, Chopin, Scryabine, Elgar, Britten, and the relationship between sexuality and composition. Material for six separate threads, in fact. At the present stage this thread refers to material posted elsewhere and persons I have never heard of. Who is this Barnett? Who is Mr. Veale? It would be nice to have some further information and to see some links!
"This Barnett" is Rob Barnett, one time writer for Musicweb International (http://www.musicweb-international.com/index.htm). "Mr. Veale" is the English composer John Veale (1922-2006) (see http://www.johnvealecomposer.co.uk/ and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Veale). Who is /was this "Scryabine"?

The truculently self-defensive "protesteth too much" tone adopted by Dr Wright in this initial post in this thread and in some of his writings is in any event hardly suggestive of his being amenable to disagreement such as you refer to in your second sentence here; it might not be entirely unreasonable to interpret some of his statements as arising from a trenchant attitude of "Wright is right" to such an extent that little or no proof in the form of corroborative bibliographical references is even perceived to be required.

Any intelligent discussion of sexuality and composition will require the input not only of composers, performers, listeners and musicologists but also of psychologists, neuroscientists, geneticists and professionals from other disciplines outside of the field of musical practice and will even then inevitably be compromised in its effectiveness and credibility as a consequence of the relatively unadvanced state of bona fide scientific research into such issues; the very fact that it is not possible to listen to a piece of music and know the gender and sexual orientation of its composer merely by doing so does little to herald a good start in any such discussion.
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2014, 11:04:43 am »

This is a pointless thread, can't it be locked or something? I would assume that David Wright has achieved his goal of attracting attention to himself by now, and I would like to forget that I ever heard of him or that I have been exposed to the pedantry that apparently surrounds the whole issue of music criticism. I don't need anyone, even a revered "Doctor of Musicology", let alone a self-proclaimed one to tell me what and why I should or should not listen to and/or like any piece of music.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: