The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:41:14 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Hyperion to record Erik Chisholm's Violin Concerto

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hyperion to record Erik Chisholm's Violin Concerto  (Read 1163 times)
patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2014, 08:59:28 am »

To compliment the CD of the two piano concertos released in 2012 Hyperion are due to record Chisholm's Violin Concerto. ;D It appears the parts for the full orchestral score have fairly recently been prepared.

According to John Purser's biography on Chisholm, the Violin Concerto is one of three Hindustani influenced works - of which piano concerto no 2 is another.

Completed in 1950 it was premiered in Capetown with Szymon Goldberg as soloist and was subsequently performed at the 1952 Edinburgh Festival with Max Rostal as soloist and Ian Whyte conducting.

It is in four movements (1) Passacalagia Telescopio (in modo Vasante) (2) Scherzo  (3) Aria in modo Sohani  (4) Fuga senza tema.  It seems at the premiere the fourth movement was not performed and the Scherzo was used to conclude the Concerto.

A definite buy for me and confirmation that Hyperion remains enterprising when it comes to British music. :D

See:  http://erikchisholm.com/news/chisholms-violin-concerto/
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 12:08:40 pm »

I have known about this for several months......since I was consulted about a possible coupling for the Chisholm Violin Concerto :)

After a lot of thought I suggested the William Wordsworth Violin Concerto. Wordsworth was an English composer but settled in the Scottish Highlands. However it appears that Hyperion are not sold on the idea of two violin concertos by different composers and would prefer more Chisholm on the disc. I shall try to find out what they finally decided.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 08:08:19 pm »

I have known about this for several months......since I was consulted about a possible coupling for the Chisholm Violin Concerto :)

After a lot of thought I suggested the William Wordsworth Violin Concerto. Wordsworth was an English composer but settled in the Scottish Highlands. However it appears that Hyperion are not sold on the idea of two violin concertos by different composers and would prefer more Chisholm on the disc. I shall try to find out what they finally decided.
perhaps Hamilton or Bates would also suffice..
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 11:45:50 pm »

We decided that Hamilton was-possibly-too "modern". The Violin Concerto No.1 has already been recorded (on an EMI cd), the Violin Concerto No.2 "Amphion" is a difficult work from Hamilton's serial phase and most people would hate it. The Stanley Bate Nos. 2 or 3 would certainly fit the bill better IF the scores exist.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 12:44:41 pm »

We decided that Hamilton was-possibly-too "modern". The Violin Concerto No.1 has already been recorded (on an EMI cd), the Violin Concerto No.2 "Amphion" is a difficult work from Hamilton's serial phase and most people would hate it. The Stanley Bate Nos. 2 or 3 would certainly fit the bill better IF the scores exist.
Hamilton is new to me, I am presently getting acquinted with his music ia the Stuart utube uploads.
True, a serial work would not be an appropriate pairing. I would like some new Grace Williams,Ruth Gipps, or possibly some early Arnell if they wrote Violin concertos. There is so much fine tonal UK music that could be used.

Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 01:13:15 pm »

Grace Williams wrote a very fine Violin Concerto (of which we have a recording), Ruth Gipps wrote one but I have not heard it, both the Richard Arnell Violin Concertos are on Dutton cds.
Report Spam   Logged
patmos.beje
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 02:20:38 pm »

I presume the Concerto is likely to be accompanied by some other orchestral music by Chisholm.  Many years ago - in the mid 1990s - Hyperion told me they were exploring recording Chisholm.  Although, no doubt, occupying a wholly different musical world from Chisholm, Alexander Mackenzie's Suite for Violin and Orchestra op 68 would represent an unrecorded piece by a significant Scottish composer.  Duncan Barker in his doctoral thesis on Mackenzie speaks highly of the work. However, I am glad the Chisholm Concerto is to be recorded as it is one of a handful of Violin Concertos I have been hoping for.  I suspect I will like it rather than love it.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 02:32:44 pm »

The Chisholm  "Van Riebeek Concerto for Orchestra"- IF the complete score has been found or it has been assembled from the complete set of parts would be my best guess.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 09:57:40 pm »

Grace Williams wrote a very fine Violin Concerto (of which we have a recording), Ruth Gipps wrote one but I have not heard it, both the Richard Arnell Violin Concertos are on Dutton cds.
I must buy the Arnell if you think the VC's are worthy..I will look for Williams. Hopefully. Stuart may post a Gipps if it exists.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 11:40:58 pm »

I must buy the Arnell if you think the VC's are worthy..I will look for Williams. Hopefully. Stuart may post a Gipps if it exists.

The Arnell Violin Concertos are short, attractive, but hardly major Arnell. The Grace Williams is in the British Music Archive on this site.
Report Spam   Logged
britishcomposer
Level 3

Times thanked: 36

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 12:14:42 am »

BTW, a rare live-performance of Chisholm's 2nd Piano Concert is to be broadcast on Monday evening:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03x17x1
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 10:13:40 am »

BTW, a rare live-performance of Chisholm's 2nd Piano Concert is to be broadcast on Monday evening:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03x17x1

What a wonderful concert - I would travel to hear it, except I have to go to France the next morning. MacCunn that isn't "Land of the mountain and the flood" as well!
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 08:55:24 pm »

fter a lot of thought I suggested the William Wordsworth Violin Concerto. Wordsworth was an English composer but settled in the Scottish Highlands. However it appears that Hyperion are not sold on the idea of two violin concertos by different composers and would prefer more Chisholm on the disc.

What a pity! Wordsworth's music is so neglected.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 10:09:02 pm »

fter a lot of thought I suggested the William Wordsworth Violin Concerto. Wordsworth was an English composer but settled in the Scottish Highlands. However it appears that Hyperion are not sold on the idea of two violin concertos by different composers and would prefer more Chisholm on the disc.

What a pity! Wordsworth's music is so neglected.

Indeed! I am trying to interest Raphael Wallfisch in the Cello Concerto.........but, as usual, it is a question of finance :(
Report Spam   Logged
patmos.beje
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 08:15:33 pm »

The Erik Chisholm Trust Newsletter for Summer 2014 contains the under noted information about the forthcoming Hyperion CD:

'Chisholm's only Violin Concerto will be recorded in 2015 by the BBC SSO, soloist Anthony Marwood. Companion pieces in this, our 2nd Hyperion CD, will include Dance Suite for Orchestra and Piano, with pianist Danny Driver.'

See:  http://www.erikchisholm.com/pdf/summer2014.pdf

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: