The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:57:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Sir George Dyson (1883-1964)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sir George Dyson (1883-1964)  (Read 1462 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2021, 03:45:39 pm »

Funnily enough,I put on his Symphony,this morning and it's still playing NOW!

George Dyson: Symphony in G     City of London Sinfonia / Richard Hickox

I gather some people prefer the Naxos recording,but I'm quite happy with this and,what some people might regard as,the meagre playing time. I'm a fan of the Chandos sound (I think Thomson's Bax recording's sound spectacular! Although,maybe I have a problem with ear wax?! ::) ;D) and just having the symphony allows me to focus all my attention on it! The Symphony has a Straussian lushness to the orchestration,without the pomposity of (some of his epoch making tone poems)! Yet,it still sounds,quintessentially,English! It's full of lovely & often exciting orchestration. If I was that antiques chap on the tv with the loud suit's I might even call it "a right Bobby dazzler"! My only slight criticism is that,at one point,he brings out a truly glorious theme (that always has me dropping everything to listen to it) only for Dyson to,seemingly,forget all about it,never to return to it again! I feel a true master like Rachmaninov would have wrung it for all it's worth and,probably,brought it back towards the end?! But enough of comparison's! ::) Who am I to criticise? I can just about play The March of the Wooden Soldiers and Chopsticks! ::) It's a lovely symphony! :) :) :) Incidentally,the Chandos Cd I own has a lovely painting on the front!

Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2021, 04:32:24 pm »

I have the Naxos version which seems to have received very good reviews; I haven't heard the Chandos and so I can't compare them. In any case, I am no Dyson expert. In fact, I only realisesd I had a recording of his Symphony when Albion extolled the virues of Dyson in another thread some while ago and I went a-searcing my catalogue to see what I had of his and, blow me down, there it was. Please tell me I'm not alone on this forum in having records that I had entirely forgotten I'd bought! I also have a download of the Chandos recording of the Violin Concerto and I'd forgotten I had that too. :-\

Nevertheless, I must investigate the choral music which has so enthused y'all.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2021, 05:13:30 pm »

Yes, please do investigate! Dyson's choral works are a great legacy, and now all are superbly recorded as listed below...

:D

Funnily enough,I put on his Symphony,this morning and it's still playing NOW!

The orchestral works are splendid too! The Naxos and Chandos discs are great: you can't have too much of such a splendid composer...

;)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest822
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2021, 05:19:06 pm »

Yes, please do investigate! Dyson's choral works are a great legacy, and now all are superbly recorded as listed below...

:D
  ??? ;D
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: