The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:33:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Sir George Dyson (1883-1964)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sir George Dyson (1883-1964)  (Read 1460 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2014, 09:15:59 am »

A previously unknown large-scale Choral Symphony by Sir George Dyson (1883-1964) has recently been unearthed and is being premiered in London on 13th March:

http://www.londonchorus.org.uk/concerts/concerts/2013-14/index.shtml

A setting of Psalm 107, O give thanks unto the Lord, it is in four movements and scored for SATB soloists, double chorus and orchestra. This is wonderful news for admirers of the composer.

;D

With all his other major choral works already available on disc, I wonder if there is a recording in the pipeline ...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 10:41:23 pm by Admin » Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 06:52:27 pm »

How interesting. I enjoy his Symphony very much and 'In Honour of the City of London'.
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 01:36:41 pm »

Currently listening to 'Quo Vadis' which I like more and more - the ending is wonderful.
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 12:27:14 am »

What exciting news! I am very fond of Dyson, and it's wonderful to see how he has gone from being a minor footnote in British music histories to having all his major works recorded. Quo Vadis is a masterpiece, I think, and so is The Canterbury Pilgrims, in its lighter way. The Violin Concerto is one of my very favourite works in that genre (where there is considerable competition).
Report Spam   Logged
patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 09:38:32 am »

Dyson has been a great discovery although I was put off him initially having purchased the Chandos CD of the Violin Concerto when it came out in the 1990s (I later came to appreciate it).  Completely enchanted by 'The Canterbury Pilgrims' when it was released, the ending of 'Quo Vadis' is wonderful and his Symphony a delight.   I listen often to 'St Paul's Voyage to Melita' and quite often to 'Nebuchanezzar'.  Happy there is something undiscovered but if it is early Dyson I doubt it will be of the quality of the later choral pieces but here's hoping we may hear it.
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 10:05:19 am »

Dyson has been a great discovery although I was put off him initially having purchased the Chandos CD of the Violin Concerto when it came out in the 1990s (I later came to appreciate it).  Completely enchanted by 'The Canterbury Pilgrims' when it was released, the ending of 'Quo Vadis' is wonderful and his Symphony a delight.   I listen often to 'St Paul's Voyage to Melita' and quite often to 'Nebuchanezzar'.  Happy there is something undiscovered but if it is early Dyson I doubt it will be of the quality of the later choral pieces but here's hoping we may hear it.

These are exactly my own thoughts about Dyson! I am just discovering how good the Violin Concerto is and the end of Quo Vadis with(as the booklet notes say) its 'affirmative sense of homecoming' is as moving as any piece I know - absolutely wonderful music.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 06:30:01 pm »

I'm really glad that there are fans of Dyson on here. I think that he is still criminally underrated - every one of his choral and orchestral scores has so much to offer. Particular favourites of mine are Quo Vadis, St Paul's Voyage to Melita, Nebuchadnezzar, The Blacksmiths (either in the full orchestral version, but especially in the version for two pianos, strings and timpani) and the two late concertos for string orchestra. He's a composer with a very individual harmonic style and a wonderful sense of choral effect.

Coming soon from the pen of Paul Spicer is the first full-length study of the composer -

http://www.boydellandbrewer.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=14451

Amazon's pre-order price is around £38.

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Vandermolen
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 04:30:00 pm »

Listened to the St Paul work today and enjoyed it enormously. As often with Dyson, I found the ending very powerful and moving - a super CD.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 04:36:26 pm »

Wow, a late courier-post from Amazon has just delivered Paul Spicer's brand-new biography and American Horror Story series one and two on eight silver viddydiscs. Bonza! At first look the Dyson book seems enormously and definitively impressive with many music examples and photographs. The Boydell Press have put out some brilliant stuff recently on Constant Lambert and Hamilton Harty which are both in the rather large pile of 'books in progress'.

;D
Report Spam   Logged

patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 06:29:20 pm »

I have Christopher Palmer's short book on Dyson.  On the basis that I have a large number of unsused book tokens that I cannot use on Amazon I will purchase this book as Dyson's choral music is a delight and has interested me for years.
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 12:32:42 pm »

Wow, a late courier-post from Amazon has just delivered Paul Spicer's brand-new biography and American Horror Story series one and two on eight silver viddydiscs. Bonza! At first look the Dyson book seems enormously and definitively impressive with many music examples and photographs. The Boydell Press have put out some brilliant stuff recently on Constant Lambert and Hamilton Harty which are both in the rather large pile of 'books in progress'.

;D

I have just received the book too and hope to read it over the summer. Super illustrations in it.
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 02:23:05 pm »

Both excellent pieces of news! I have come to appreciate Dyson a great deal in the last few years. I think his violin concerto is one of the loveliest in the genre (and there is quite a bit of competition. The choral works too: I shall look forward greatly to the 'new' symphony. Yes, I have read the short Palmer book, written when hardly anything was available on record, so I look forward to the new book.

Like York Bowen, Dyson seems to have come from nowhere to having virtually everything recorded, but I find Dyson a lot more deserving of this!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2021, 10:37:10 pm »

Hey, it's here - found the thread after only seven years! Strongly recommended recordings of the major choral works:

In Honour of the City (1928); The Canterbury Pilgrims (1930) - Hickox, Chandos CHAN 9531(2)
Choral Symphony (1910); St Paul's Voyage to Melita (1932) - Hill, Naxos 8.573770
The Blacksmiths (1933); Sweet Thames, Run Softly (1954) - Willcocks, Somm CD014
Nebuchadnezzar (1934) - Hickox, Chandos CHAN10439
Quo Vadis (1936-45) - Hickox, Chandos CHAN 10061(2)

A wonderful composer.

Report Spam   Logged

Vandermolen
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2021, 12:30:30 pm »

Hey, it's here - found the thread after only seven years! Strongly recommended recordings of the major choral works:

In Honour of the City (1928); The Canterbury Pilgrims (1930) - Hickox, Chandos CHAN 9531(2)
Choral Symphony (1910); St Paul's Voyage to Melita (1932) - Hill, Naxos 8.573770

A wonderful composer.

I agree! I especially like the Symphony (both recordings), Concerto da Chiesa and Nebuchadnezzar.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2021, 02:16:57 pm »

A wonderful composer.

I agree! I especially like the Symphony (both recordings), Concerto da Chiesa and Nebuchadnezzar.

Well, that's firm vindication! Thanks V.

;D
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: