The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:10:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Why are there so few works in G major?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are there so few works in G major?  (Read 968 times)
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

Times thanked: 42

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2014, 12:25:09 am »

A thing that has always puzzled me is that classical works tend to be in easy keys, and yet there are very few in G major. Ditto with Romantic works, why is this?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

dyn
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 01:01:05 am »

I haven't noticed G major appearing any less frequently than other keys. IMSLP doesn't seem to have, either.

http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:G_major

Even in the Romantic era I can think of many more well-known works in G major than in, say, B major.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 01:13:59 am »

and there is this list, fairly large IMHO..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_symphonies_in_G_major
Report Spam   Logged
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

Times thanked: 42

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 09:32:20 pm »

Ok, thanks for the list of Symphonies in G major.

What it shows is that Haydn wrote proportionally more symphonies in G major than the other keys he used, however, apart from this it actually demonstrates what I said, there are very few symphonies (and other works) in G major: most of the people on this list are hardly household names, if you discount early works by Mozart, VW's London and Dvorak 8 there are hardly any*. Imagine this list set alongside lists of Symphonies in  C, F, D, Bflat, Eflat &c

My own feeling is that C major is so entrenched as the basic key and as G major is its dominant, composers have felt that a symphony in G major risked being heard as a sort of dominant C throughout and not a real key.

*For what it's worth G major is the gravitational centre of Robert Simpson's 8th, the neglected masterpiece amongst his other slightly less neglected masterpieces.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 12:20:00 am »

Sorry, I meant G Major, not G minor on my previous post which I removed
Old and sloppy I am..this is interesting

here is the G major list again
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_symphonies_in_G_major

and one for G Minor:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_symphonies_in_G_minor

and one for C major
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_symphonies_in_C_major
Report Spam   Logged
dyn
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 09:13:44 am »

What it shows is that Haydn wrote proportionally more symphonies in G major than the other keys he used, however, apart from this it actually demonstrates what I said, there are very few symphonies (and other works) in G major: most of the people on this list are hardly household names, if you discount early works by Mozart, VW's London and Dvorak 8 there are hardly any*.

Well you could say that about a lot of keys, e.g. B-flat major if you discount Haydn and some early works by Mozart you have only Beethoven's 4th, Schumann's Spring, Dvorak's 2nd and Bruckner's 5th, A major only Mendelssohn's Italian, Beethoven's 7th and Bruckner's 6th, E major hardly anything... etc. For that matter, how many notable symphonies in C major are there between Schubert 9 and Sibelius 7? (Or after Sibelius 7 for that matter)

Beethoven has more piano sonatas in G major than any other key (4; E-flat major and C minor both have 3, other keys 2), two violin sonatas in G major (tied with A major), plus a string quartet, a piano concerto, two piano trios, a string trio, and various minor works. Schubert's last string quartet is in G major as is the D894 piano sonata. Chaikovsky, who rarely used major keys at all, used G major for his 2nd piano concerto and two of his four orchestral suites. Dvorak's Op.106 string quartet in G major should also not be overlooked; it's one of his finest. Brahms used G major for a string sextet, a string quintet and a violin sonata, all of which are among his best-loved chamber works.

In the post-tonal era we have notable symphonies in G from George Dyson and Lou Harrison, Walton's 2nd, as well as four symphonies that start in G and end in a different key: Mahler's 4th (ends in E major), Harris's 3rd (ends in G minor), Hindemith's Mathis der Maler (ends in D-flat major) and Nielsen's 6th (ends in B-flat major). Rubbra's piano concerto is in G as is Bartók's 2nd piano concerto and Stravinsky's Capriccio for piano and orchestra. I could go on, but I think you're already bored.

Certainly some composers did rarely use G major. I can only think of one complete work by Shostakovich in that key for instance, and none of Myaskovsky's 27 symphonies are in the key. But I think it's more about composers gravitating towards particular keys—e.g. Beethoven and C minor, Chopin and C-sharp minor, Bruckner and D minor, Janacek and D-flat major, Messiaen and F-sharp major etc. I think it just so happens that no one famous had a particular affinity for G major.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 10:51:46 am »

calyptorhynchus  - after looking at it more closely,I would certainly agree with you.
Report Spam   Logged
JimL
Level 3

Times thanked: 16

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 10:26:48 pm »

What it shows is that Haydn wrote proportionally more symphonies in G major than the other keys he used, however, apart from this it actually demonstrates what I said, there are very few symphonies (and other works) in G major: most of the people on this list are hardly household names, if you discount early works by Mozart, VW's London and Dvorak 8 there are hardly any*.

For that matter, how many notable symphonies in C major are there between Schubert 9 and Sibelius 7? (Or after Sibelius 7 for that matter)
Sibelius' 3rd?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: