The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:45:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Charles Tomlinson Griffes

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Charles Tomlinson Griffes  (Read 716 times)
guest54
« on: April 01, 2013, 04:27:55 pm »

(Two of the) Three Poems by Fiona Macleod, opus 11: http://archive.org/details/threepoemsbyfion00grif

1. The Lament of Ian the Proud (no longer in the book!)
   2. Thy Dark Eyes to Mine (dedicated to Miss Marcia van Dresser) - (May 1918)
   3. The Rose of the Night (dedicated to Madame Gabrielle Gills) - (January 1918)

for high voice with piano accompaniment. A footnote states that "parts and score for full orchestra can be obtained from the publishers."

Not available from the IMSLP.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

chill319
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 11:40:27 pm »

Those are detailed in the Orchestral section of Donna K. Anderson's worklist, The Works of Charles T. Griffes: A Descriptive Catalogue (Ann Arbor, 1984). Joanne Falletta, are you reading this?

Rental scores can be interesting in other ways, too. I remember seeing an unpublished rental score of Hindemith's Symphonic Metamorphosis of Themes by Weber that had Toscanini's markings all over it. (Clearly Toscanini wore glasses during rehearsals.) So while we may not have a published recording of the work by Toscanini (not 100% sure about that), his take on the score has doubtless influenced a number of other conductors who came since.
Report Spam   Logged
Leafshimmer
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 04:53:36 am »

There was a recording of the orchestral arrangements of these songs back in the 1970s as part of some US government funded project (I think around 1976 as part of the US Bicentennial) to record compositions by various US composers; an entire LP was devoted to Griffes.  I am not googling the details but I recall a stunning recording of the SONG OF THE DAGGER which isn't one of the composer's better known works, to say the least.

cheers, Steve Shutt
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: