The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:07:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Has Boulez's been a pernicious influence?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has Boulez's been a pernicious influence?  (Read 4080 times)
ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« on: February 25, 2012, 03:56:31 pm »

. . . I suspect that, whilst most people reading this thread may well have begun by assuming that the term "influence" here was intended to refer to Boulez's influence as a composer and, indeed, no small proportion of my responses have been based upon such an assumption, that is not presented as a given in the thread title and one might therefore be given to wonder whether you had in mind his influence in more general rather than specifically compositional terms...

Well no actually there was really nothing much at all in my mind; it was merely a word I picked up from this passage, to which it is intended to refer:

"With such direct influence, Boulez inevitably attracted envy and criticism. Indeed, in the near-hysterical atmosphere that pervaded discussions of new music, he was frequently accused of being Stalinist. There are some similarities between the history of communism and the modernism of Boulez."

But perhaps as you point out Mr. Stocken in 2000 was - if not entirely hairless - still something of a callow youth. He was not making a lot of sense altogether was he. (And in my experience and judgement the writings of Mr. P. Griffiths - the Welshman you know - are very similar and hardly more enlightening.)
Paul Griffiths compared to Frederick Stocken in such matters? Vastly superior and well thought ot in every way! - so I cannot agree with you here. Stocken seems to have gotten his knives out for Boulez before he pens his first word and this agenda-driven motivatgion pervades his entire article, I fear; Griffiths is not only far better informed but far more considered in what he writes, as is, for example, Arnold Whittall.

SInce you clarify that you were broadly deferring to Mr Stocken's contextual use of the word "influence" I think that it can be accepted that his meaning was something perceived to be far wider and more pervasive than mere composer-on-composer influence as provided by Boulez's music.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: