The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:31:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

ARE THESE POSTS IN ANY WAY WORTHWHILE ?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARE THESE POSTS IN ANY WAY WORTHWHILE ?  (Read 445 times)
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2014, 07:18:57 pm »

Sorry, ladies & gentlemen - do know the internet's an imperfect medium, & quite sure I've transgressed in my time, but having put a number of posts on this, and other, forums, that end up some weeks later with 50-150 views but no comments, I have to wonder, as an enthusiastic amateur amongst   many experts, whether I'm just deluding myself that my pathetic input could possibly be of any value to anyone here.
Suspect the last 2 posts I've placed on this thread, Sojnikov & Knaifel, have been perhaps the two 'discoveries' of mine on YT that I've been most moved by; think they're gorgeous, frankly - but have no clue as to their intrinsic musical worth.
If learned colleagues are looking at these and thinking 'Yeah, another load of nonsense posted by this imbecile', I think I'd rather know, as posts/responses take time & effort to do, and I could just as easily be augmenting my own imbecilic collection rather than trying to convince others of its worth.

Please, a moment of your time is begged - no platitudes, please, but a reasonably polite 'let down' if that's what it's to be !  Thank you all.
Report Spam   Logged

Clive

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest377
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 07:30:23 pm »

Clive.. your thoughts and comments are very much appreciated!!    sometimes, it takes a while for the rest of us to catch up to your commments..  but please keep posting and keep educating us in the finer things !!
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 08:29:43 pm »

Completely agreed! Speaking for myself, I love to read your commentaries and discoveries, causing me for example to run to my collection and see what Knaifel CD it was that I bought last year (but didn't find time to listen to yet  ;)). So please indeed, keep posting.
(Again, speaking for myself purely, but it might apply to others as well, an obvious reason for not responding that often, is the simple fact that my command of English is rather poor, having learned it too late in life. I'm not always eager to expose myself then, but enjoy reading enthusiastic reports on music I still have to discover myself. Actually, that's what most of us are here for, isn't it?  ;D )
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
guest145
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 11:41:11 am »

They are indeed worthwhile, in that they draw attention to interesting music that might be otherwise overlooked. I monitor this folder regularly for suggestions. I appreciate the variety of postings here. Some I've already found on my own, others are new to me. Some bring enjoyment, others don't.

However, like many of us, I just don't have time to comment on everything, or to evaluate them to the point that I can speak intelligently about them for others' guidance. You needn't be looking to us to validate or refute your tastes.  ;D If you enjoy something, then just go ahead and enjoy it! You don't need us to confirm that it's OK for you to enjoy it, or to scold you for a lapse in taste.  ;)
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 07:49:28 am »

Mr. Dhibbard, Mr. Christo, Mr. Latvian( & to my one PM responder) - many thanks for your kind words and encouragement. They are much appreciated.
 (Nothing much amiss with your English, Mr. C....wish any of the languages I stutter through in was one quarter as good as your command of my tongue !)

Fear it would be fair to say, though, that 4 responses from (thus far) 159 viewings (yes, I know some will be duplicates !) isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of my posts on this, or probably any other thread.  Think I'm probably far enough 'exposed' on the Forum now, though, to keep penning my hugely unschooled thoughts and likes for the few who might find something in them - everyone else knows by now to stay well clear !

Thank you, gentlemen, & everyone else can now blame you if they're lumbered with yet more tripe from 'cjv' !!
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
guest377
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 08:37:50 pm »

yes.. cjv.. I'm amused by your profile photo... trying to figure out what type of thing that is?? :'(
Report Spam   Logged
guest54
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 11:03:03 pm »

It's Eeyore I believe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eeyore

Excellent at poohsticks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poohsticks
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 11:03:21 am »

yes.. cjv.. I'm amused by your profile photo... trying to figure out what type of thing that is?? :'(

Eeyore - from Winnie the Pooh...something youngsters of my generation in England were brought up on. Brief extract from an a 'Guardian' newspaper article :

'The Winnie-the-Pooh stories are part of the fabric of our lives. We grow up reading them, then we read them to our children. But while each character is loveable, Eeyore seems to have a special place in our hearts. We are drawn helplessly towards him; we recognise something deeply human in his gloomy outlook. His sadness is our sadness. He's an Everyman; an Every-donkey.
In literary terms, Eeyore is the archetypal outsider. The other animals – Pooh, Piglet, Owl and the rest – dwell happily within Hundred Acre Wood, knocking on each others' doors, having tea and embarking on adventures. But not Eeyore. He lives on the other side of the stream in his Gloomy Place – marked on the map as "Rather Boggy and Sad". Rather than venture out to see others, he waits for them to pass through his field, which doesn't happen often. "I have my friends," he notes ruefully. "Somebody spoke to me only yesterday. And was it last week or the week before that Rabbit bumped into me and said 'Bother!' The Social Round. Always something going on." '

Similarities ? Who said that ?!
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 01:16:53 pm »

Eeey-ore (Hee-haw),geddit?!! ;D
Not being a Pooh Bear fan I preferred Smokey the Barge Rat. Unfortunately,being wartime Britain,he lived up to his name and taught all the other woodland creatures to smoke!! Tut! Tut!! No wonder his exploits are gathering dust. The picture of  Boggy the Frog succumbing to the effects of (tobacco) inhalation are highly graphic and should be shown to budding juvenile smokers everywhere or even printed on the front of ciggy packets! :o ;D
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: