The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:46:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Zolotareyov's Cello Concerto - Moscow Regional SO

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zolotareyov's Cello Concerto - Moscow Regional SO  (Read 2111 times)
guest377
« on: February 04, 2014, 06:41:25 pm »

I have located a recording of Vasilli Zolotaryov's Cello Concerto on a 78 recording of the cellist A. Stogorsky and the Moscow Regional Symphony Orchestra under G. Gamburg.  I believe it was performed in 1943 in Moscow.  A very bad recording....

anyone know of a more recent recording? 
 this may be the only known recording.....
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest224
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 09:00:07 pm »

I have located a recording of Vasilli Zolotaryov's Cello Concerto on a 78 recording of the cellist A. Stogorsky and the Moscow Regional Symphony Orchestra under G. Gamburg.  I believe it was performed in 1943 in Moscow.  A very bad recording....

Ooooh!!!   PLEASE do upload!!  It's probably the only recording....

I am just amazed at how you are able to locate recordings of this composer's works, can't wait to hear them!  The one piece I had, a fragment of his Prince-Lake ballet, is lovely, like a mixture of Rimsky-Korsakov and Liadov.

Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 02:05:39 am »

Here are some translated notes from the album:

Vasily Zolotaryov is a venerable Soviet composer and pedagogue whose creative personality was fashioned under a direct influence of the great Russian composers Rimsky-Korsakov, Balakirev and Liadov.

Zolotaryov was born in 1873 in Taganrog.  In 1883, he entered the Choral Chapel in St. Petersburg headed by Balakirev and Rimsky-Korsakov; his teachers were Prof. P. Krasnokutsky (violin) and A. Liadov ( theory).  It was in Liadov’s class that the boy’s gift for composition began to proclaim itself.  For five years, Zolotaryov was Balakirev’s pupil in composition.  In 1898, he entered the St. Petersburg Conservatoire, where he studied composition under Rimsky-Korsakov.  He graduated from the Conservatoire two year later, receiving a Rubinstein Prize for his graduation thesis, the cantata “The Paradise and the Peri”.  From 1906 to 1918 Zolotaryov was on the staff of the Moscow Conservatoire.

The composer’s creative and pedagogical activity in subsequent years was associated with different cities of the Soviet Union (Rostov, Krasnodar, Odessa, Kiev, Sverdlovsk, Minsk, and Moscow).  The Minsk period (1932-1941)was especially fruitful.  During these years, the talented composers L. Abelyovich,  A. Bogatyryov, M. Kroshner,  D. Lukas,  V. Olovnikov, P. Podkovyrov and  M. Weinberg to mention but a few, were  all his pupils.

Zolotaryov’s big and varied output includes seven symphonies, three operas, a number of programme symphonic suites and overtures, the ballet  “Knyaz-Ozero” (Prince-Lake), six string quartets, a piano trio and a great number of vocal and piano compositions.
Notable works include  Fête villageoise , Overture in F major, Rhapsodie hébraïque and Ouverture-fantaisie.

This Concerto features the cellist Alexander Stogorsky and Grigori Gamburg conducting the Moscow Regional Symphony Orchestra.

(ed. notes: as you recall the Germans invaded the Soviet Union in 1941, so this recording was probably manufactured in the late 1940s)

also found an item about the celloist
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 05:49:05 pm »

its marked as Allegro moderato  on the lp.   estimate about 35 min
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 06:13:31 pm »

the label is the old Radio Tower label which is pre CCCP days  (all pre-Melodiya) LP made from shellack..?  wow.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 02:55:20 am »

Some more notes from the recording:

The Concerto consists of four movements performed without a pause.  The first movement (Allegro moderado)  may be considered the exposition and development of the first subject. This theme, romantic and agitated and imbued with chromaticisms, is the main musical image of the work.

A short cadenza in the cello leads to the beginning of the second movement, a new theme in the style of a slow waltz.
The third movement (Lento) opens with an episode in the nature of a philosophical meditation; further development of the material brings a long tutti, whose dramatic intensity makes it the climax of the whole Concerto.  Then follows a recapitulation of the main theme in the main key; a peculiar feature in the repetition of the main theme is that it begins as a cadenza for the solo instrument against the background of trills in the clarinets.

A new passing theme appears in the fourth movement, an agitated lyrical duet. The Concerto closes with a long coda in the like-named major key.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 04:53:18 pm »

the MRSO is now the MSSO.   Here is some info about the MSSO from Wikipedia:T

he Moscow State Symphony Orchestra (MSSO) was founded in 1943 by the Kremlin and is one of the five oldest concert orchestras in Russia.

Lev Steinberg the Peoples Artist of USSR and conductor of the Bolshoi Theatre, became the MSSO first Chief Conductor, a post he held until his death in 1945. He was succeeded by a series of distinguished Soviet musical giants that has included Nikolai Anosov (1945 – 1950) and Leo Ginzburg(1950 – 1954), Mikhail Terian (1954 – 1960) and Veronica Dudarova (1960 – 1989). Owing to the collaboration with such figures the orchestra became one of most prominent national symphonic ensembles, but in the first place it was known by the performances of Russian and Soviet classical music, involving many premieres of Nikolai Myaskovsky, Sergei Prokofiev, Dmitri Shostakovich, Reinhold Gliere.

The Moscow State Symphony Orchestra becomes renowned around the globe under the leadership of Pavel Kogan. In 1989 Maestro was engaged as Music Director and Chief Conductor and immediately enriched the orchestra repertoire by the works of European and American musical literature.

A landmark of the MSSO has been to present the grandiose monographic cycles of complete symphonic works of the greatest composers: Brahms, Beethoven, Schubert, Schumann, R. Strauss, Mendelssohn, Mahler, Bruckner, Sibelius, Dvorak, Tchaikovsky, Glazunov, Rachmaninov, Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Scriabin, Berlioz, Debussy, and Ravel. The orchestra wide-ranging programs balance great orchestral, operatic, and choral classics with equally significant music of the 21st century, lots of many forgotten and neglected pieces.

It plays some 100 concerts annually. Along with the series in the Great Hall of the Moscow Conservatory and in Tchaikovsky Concert Hall, the Moscow State Symphony Orchestra performs in the Great Hall of the Saint-Petersburg D.D. Shostakovich Philharmonic Society and at the stages of the other Russian cities, as well as on tours abroad. The MSSO constantly appears in 59 countries, holding the major musical centers of the world, such as USA, Great Britain, Japan, Spain, Austria, Italy, Germany, France, South Korea, Australia, China and Switzerland.

The Moscow State Symphony Orchestra also has a long and distinguished recording history with DVD and CD studio and live recordings, TV and radio broadcast. In 1990 the “Pioneer” made a live recording of Tchaikovsky’ piano and violin concertos, performed by the MSSO and Maestro Kogan (soloists – Aleksey Sultanov, Maxim Vengerov). In the beginning of 90th the Russian television released the documentary “Travels with the orchestra” about the MSSO and Pavel Kogan tour in Europe and Saint-Petersburg. Widely known and enjoy wide popularity the Rachmaninov cycle, released by “Alto” – the MSSO and P. Kogan interpretations of the composer’s all symphonies and “Symphonic Dances” has led the lists of all present versions.

Also the MSSO takes a legitimate pride in its cooperation with eminent conductors and soloists especially with Evgeny Svetlanov, Kirill Kondrashin, Aleksandr Orlov, Natan Rahlin, Samuil Samosud, Valery Gergiev, David Oistrakh, Emil Gilels, Leonid Kogan, Vladimir Sofronitsky, Sergei Lemeshev, Ivan Kozlovsky, Svyatoslav Knushevitskyi, Sviatoslav Richter, Mstislav Rostropovich, Daniil Shafran and Angela Georgiu.

Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 03:24:21 pm »

Hello David - I am just doing some more Zolotarev research, and came across this post you wrote from a few years back. Do you have this record, or can you provide any more information about it?

Thanks.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 10:17:32 pm »

thanks for the reminder Christopher.... yes the record in question was or is being held by the University of Oklahoma libraries and score in addition.... however, when I inquired about the recording, it was in a sealed box that was part of a gift to the University.   However, when the box was opened, the record was not playable because it was in several pieces (shallac record).    However, I did make a photocopy of the score, when I was in Oklahoma City at the University.

Wish I had good news on that.... 

here is the link to the library 

https://ou-primo.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com/primo-explore/fulldisplay?docid=NORMANLAW_ALMA21371073280002042&vid=OUNEW&context=L&lang=en_US
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 04:51:32 pm »

thanks for the reminder Christopher.... yes the record in question was or is being held by the University of Oklahoma libraries and score in addition.... however, when I inquired about the recording, it was in a sealed box that was part of a gift to the University.   However, when the box was opened, the record was not playable because it was in several pieces (shallac record).    However, I did make a photocopy of the score, when I was in Oklahoma City at the University.

Wish I had good news on that.... 

here is the link to the library 

https://ou-primo.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com/primo-explore/fulldisplay?docid=NORMANLAW_ALMA21371073280002042&vid=OUNEW&context=L&lang=en_US

Thanks for this.  Would you be prepared to share the photocopy of the score?  The link you give implies that it's a version for cello and piano, rather than the full orchestral score?
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2018, 06:38:32 am »

Not that he said so, but I took Dave's initial post to imply he had possession of this recording ("I have located..."), and had also heard it ("a very bad recording...").

Christopher's "please do upload!!" appeal makes obvious he believed the same.

We'll mask our disappointment it is merely an artifact.

How words can deceive.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2018, 08:40:16 pm »

Not that he said so, but I took Dave's initial post to imply he had possession of this recording ("I have located..."), and had also heard it ("a very bad recording...").

How words can deceive.

I do have the reduction score.  I will scan it and upload it in January.   If you play the piano, you can at least hear some of the themes in this wonderful work.
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2019, 03:25:38 pm »

How words can deceive.

I do have the reduction score.  I will scan it and upload it in January.   If you play the piano, you can at least hear some of the themes in this wonderful work.

Hello Dave - have you been able to scan this score? We do look forward to the upload which you mentioned.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2019, 02:08:46 am »

Yes... thank you for the reminder...    I just got the score down from my bookshelf.   I will have some time over the Holidays to get it done.
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2019, 11:31:14 am »

Fantastic - would love to see it, thanks!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: