The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 18, 2024, 04:57:17 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Going blank

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Going blank  (Read 1065 times)
Paul
« on: May 20, 2009, 05:39:48 pm »

I'm very bad at remembering names.

There are few occasions when it's actually necessary to do something right away.

Indeed. How many of us, when the telephone rings, immediately abandon everything and rush to it before the caller can ring off, even though we are not expecting an important call? I know I do and yet, as someone pointed out to me, when it rings, you don't HAVE to answer it.

I only ever answer the telephone when I feel like doing so. In fact, I only ever do anything these days when I feel like it! Perhaps the inadvertent act of 'going blank' to which Michael R refers is simply the result of an overwhelming lack of wish to do anything at that particular moment.

There are times when we all must feel the need for total silence and privacy of thought, even in circumstances where we are supposed to be interactive with others. Perhaps we are at those times viewed as merely 'uncommunicative', 'unhelpful' or downright 'rude'. But we are all human, and this feeling comes to all of us at various times - whether through stress, tiredness, or whatever other personal circumstances may cause it.

But it is surprising how poorly some recognise it in others, and how quick they are to infer negative motives.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: