The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:15:23 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Badly Sung Composers

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Badly Sung Composers  (Read 540 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2014, 09:06:51 pm »

Regarding the Ohio Light Opera recordings and 'badly sung composers'!
Imho (as they say) anyone who is interested in rare operetta,and doesn't have an aversion to mono recordings,would be far,far better off investigating the cds of operetta from the Cantus Classics (Cantus lin) and Membran labels. These originate from 1950's  German radio broadcasts. Most,if not all of the ones I've heard,are in mono;but the sound quality is very good indeed,even for it's time! (Although,some are possibly a bit better than others).
The singing and conducting is usually of excellent quality and,as far as I can make out,in most instances uses authentic orchestrations. Yes,the performances may appear 'dated' (whatever that's supposed to mean) but then I suppose being 50's recordings they would be,wouldn't they?!! ::) ;D  That said;when you listen to these performances you are listening to an actual living tradition. Indeed,some of these recordings were made not too many years after the works actual premiere performance!
Notes are in German only with no libretto,include some linking dialogue,appropriate sound effects,usually well done and sometimes include a narrator,at the beginning,introducing the work. After getting my ears used to the style of these performances I am beginning to wonder whether any new recordings could really improve on these performances. In fact,I think the best ones I've heard are absolutely wonderful! :) :)

One recording I didn't enjoy was Kalman's 'Die Zirkusprinzessin'. Why,oh why this idea of singing funny songs in a funny voice? Not a good idea! One to file with Ivan Rebroff in Kleiber's 'Die Fledermaus' (DG) or that lisp in the D'oyly Carte's 70's remake of 'The Gondoliers (Decca) Tut! Tut!! ::) Anyway,that one went to the charity shop!! :( Although,to be fair,they wouldn't have expected it to be released as a commercial recording.

I am currently listening to Nico Dostal's 'Clivia'. A superb performance of a particularly lovely operetta. The performances are excellent and the orchestrations are a particular delight. I have heard that Dostal was up there with the best! Well,unless my ears deceive me,it's true! I would certainly put this amongst the best of the silver age operettas.

And going right back to the subject of this thread;I end this post with one heartfelt plea. Unless you really have kicked out all your bad singers;please don't record this one Ohio Light Opera! You might just unwittingly give operetta lovers a bad impression of an unjustly neglected operetta!!

Maybe I should start an operetta thread?!! ;D
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: