The Art-Music Forum
June 05, 2020, 12:58:39 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Badly Sung Composers

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Badly Sung Composers  (Read 216 times)
cilgwyn
Level 6

Times thanked: 22

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2014, 12:28:24 pm »

There is, I think, a point of diminishing return.  I remember when I first purchased the famous (?) recordings of the music of Havergal Brian by the City of Hull Youth Symphony Orchestra thinking that, as interested as I was in Brian's music, this was not a really wise use of my limited record buying budget.

That never thought occurred to me. As a teenager,The Cameo Lp of In Memoriam,For Valour and Festal Dance was one of my most played Lps! It certainly did no harm to my enthusiasm for Brian,whatsoever.In fact,I just wanted to hear even more!! I'm still grateful to the Hull Youth SO and Cameo for introducing me to such wonderful music! They were school children,after all,BrianA!!! And I still think their performances of 'In Memoriam' and 'Festal Dance' have more passion,and in the case of the latter,unbridled fun,than those dull,impersonal Marco Polo performances,even if the strings are out of tune! Shocked Grin Also,with respect to 'Festal Dance',they unwittingly (or wittingly) included one masterstroke! They included the wonderfully zany ad lib piano part!!
Don't like their performance of 'For Valour' though. But then I've never really been keen on the piece,anyway!

Not everyone can be the LSSO!!!! Roll Eyes Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: