The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:04:17 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

ill feelings taint Brass Band festival

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ill feelings taint Brass Band festival  (Read 361 times)
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2012, 08:14:41 pm »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/9042440/Brassed-off-Harmony-of-the-brass-band-world-broken-by-sickening-insults.html
[Daily Telegraph]

PS please could we have a "Brass" section among the instruments?  It's somehow missing? :)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

t-p
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 04:39:50 pm »

This is unfortunate things between musicians. I suppose it happens because people that go into profession usually have very big ego.

I think one has to educate people better. Maybe younger generation is better (I hope they are). It is important to be good person. Also it is importnat not to keep anger inside.
Most things in life are given to us as lessons. People in music need this lessons that are very painful.

There should not be competition in music.
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 06:36:51 pm »

There should not be competition in music.

I'm fundamentally opposed to all music competitions. They foster the worst tendencies in the profession.  Let me give you an example.

A young pianist of my acquaintance, from Georgia, was participating in a Piano Competition in Germany, last year. The competition was poorly organised, and there was nowhere for the competitors to get anything to eat at the venue - so they went across the road to a supermarket.  Some other competitors (from a developed Asian country which had better go nameless) saw the Georgian competitor walking around the supermarket.  She had played superbly well in the first round - so they decided to take action.  They reported to the Store Detective that the Georgian girl was a shoplifter - they claimed to have seen her putting groceries into her bag.  The Store Detective thanked the Japanese Asian girls for their kind help, and immediately arrested the Georgian competitor.  Police were called. Nothing was found in her bags, and after unnecessarily long questioning she was released - although no apology was offered.  But she had missed her performance time for the afternoon rounds, and was disqualified unconditionally, and additionally marked that she had shown "contempt" for the competition's jury (by wasting their time).  The supermarket refused to provide a letter explaining what had happened.

Report Spam   Logged
t-p
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 09:19:14 pm »

I think that the most  important thing is to make people human and not playing aparatuses.

Competitions are drying up people. Succeed by any means is what important.
It promotes hate.

Thanks Neil.
Report Spam   Logged
Admin
Administrator
Level 8

Times thanked: 53

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 01:43:46 am »

. . . please could we have a "Brass" section among the instruments?  It's somehow missing?

My apologies for the delay in responding to this request.
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 10:11:08 am »

. . . please could we have a "Brass" section among the instruments?  It's somehow missing?

My apologies for the delay in responding to this request.

Thank you for getting to it anyhow :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: