The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:33:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Reposting of Composer Catalogues

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reposting of Composer Catalogues  (Read 1657 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: January 12, 2014, 01:02:59 am »

Following on from posts on the Estonian Composers' thread....

I have absolutely no objection to catalogues I compiled and posted elsewhere being reposted on this forum by other members :)

All I would, respectfully, suggest is that it would be I think appropriate to give such reposted catalogues an attribution :)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

britishcomposer
Level 3

Times thanked: 36

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 05:12:21 pm »

I absolutely agree with you on this subject, Colin, but may I remember you that you planned to give credits to your sources yourself?  ;)

The lists as such are of great value to the music lover and often they are my first contact when looking for a composition date or a recording.
But from a musicologist viewpoint - I studied a few years in the 90s - they are not recommendable because you didn't credit your sources (such as Grove, wikipedia, composer's homepages or university catalogues).

Please don't misunderstand me: I do not want to attack you but so are the facts.
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 06:40:08 pm »

For me I don't see the necessity to have the sources. The fact that the lists are created and available, helps me to fill in
the gaps in my knowledge. The works are named, so I can, if I wish so, try and find more information.

In the way Colin makes this lists, they are easy to use. and more so, I think if I ask him for the source, he will supply.
Earlier Colin told us that he stopped with creating these lists, if I not misread, but then I already gathered, he wouldn'' act so.

Keep on doing it.

from Another listmaker

Report Spam   Logged
britishcomposer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 09:07:31 pm »

For me I don't see the necessity to have the sources.

But so may Dave say he doesn't see the necessity to credit Colin as his source!  ;)
Well, if you don't see the necessity it's at least a sign of reverence to those who have researched before you.
Colin has done a great job, no doubt, but others have done before him and perhaps they wouldn't mind being credited either.  ;)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 12:26:50 am »

If everyone has to credit someone or something every time they post something this could lead to allot of typing and extra words!
But I see your point,'britishcomposer!'

You could always paste them in Dundonnell,if you want to!
(I hate to say this,but You should have seen this one coming,I suppose!!! (I would place a Sad face & a Grin emoticon here normally,but after your pc problems I decided to reinstall 'NoScript! and it's late,I forgot & I would have to reload!!)

Now,is there anyone I need to credit?!!!!!

Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 01:57:11 am »

Okay,that's sorted! ;D

And the emoticon (scripts allowed!)
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 03:14:11 am »

For me I don't see the necessity to have the sources.

But so may Dave say he doesn't see the necessity to credit Colin as his source!  ;)
Well, if you don't see the necessity it's at least a sign of reverence to those who have researched before you.
Colin has done a great job, no doubt, but others have done before him and perhaps they wouldn't mind being credited either.  ;)

What Dundonnel has asked for is completely reasonable and we are all in his debt. When it comes down to the basics, my only concern is WHO created the list and that speaks to its credibility. I do not know anyone having more integrity than someone who is extremely knowledgeable, someone we all trust as having done due diligence and someone who is open to change.
I would only suggest that you include your name (Dundonnel) to every catalog, and maybe the date last modified, and a possibly malibox or topic where viewers could send updates or corrections. Then replication is not an issue, but these are only suggestions and the list is fine as is..

Attributing each and every entry to a specific source could make it a musical Tower of Babel.  
And what source would make sense for The 1812 Overture or Beethoven's 5th for that matter, and who would care?

I check it to see what I may have missed by a favorite and/or prolific composer but it is not the only place I look. This is an imperfect world and Dundonnel
has done us all a great service with his efforts.
Please continue the lists as is, they have been invaluable to me and I am grateful that  they exist.
JR
Report Spam   Logged
britishcomposer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 04:17:15 pm »

Thank you very much for your understanding, Colin! :)
As I said before: among our small group of music lovers and collectors these lists are invaluable.
So, if your intention was just to please us you were successful.  ;D
It's only when we think about reaching out to the world outside that these aspects become debateable.

Quite another thing: in Germany the GEMA is the society for musical performing and mechanical reproduction rights.
When a composer wants to publish a piece in which he quotes music by another composer, he has to fill in a form and submit it to the GEMA.
The young composer Johannes Kreidler considered this to be ridiculous in our age where every bit of sound is available online.
Therefore he wrote a short piece (33 seconds) based on 70.200 music samples, filled in 70.200 forms, put them in a van and drove them to the GEMA office.
Here's the video:
http://kreidler-net.de/productplacements-e.html

:o ;D
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: