The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:24:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Composer Catalogues: an announcement

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Composer Catalogues: an announcement  (Read 2505 times)
Jim
Level 2

Times thanked: 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 06:37:52 pm »

Rotunda March: http://gramophonecollecting.myfastforum.org/archive/oliphant-chuckerbutty-record-__o_t__t_694.html
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2012, 07:04:39 pm »

Sorry, trying to surreptitiously sneak in military band arrangements doesn't count - try again ...

;D
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Jim
Level 2

Times thanked: 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2012, 07:10:49 pm »

I am pretty sure I hear strings on that recording :o But I am interested to hear why brass bands count in some of the catalogues but not military bands, which after all contain a larger variety of orchestral instruments compared to just trombones and percussion in the former :-\
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2012, 07:19:46 pm »

Hey, a military (R.A.F.) band with strings - crazy days! I've changed my mind - what the hell (who cares about the classification) - just savour the musical quality ...

;D
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2012, 03:53:09 am »

I am pretty sure I hear strings on that recording :o But I am interested to hear why brass bands count in some of the catalogues but not military bands, which after all contain a larger variety of orchestral instruments compared to just trombones and percussion in the former :-\

If that question is directed my way....as I think it may be ;D.........

When I started out on the cataloguing exercise(=marathon) back in February I made a decision to exclude certain types of music. Amongst these were Incidental Music written for plays or films-unless there was a very clearly identified orchestral Suite derived from that music AND arranged by the composer himself. I also decided-I seem to recall whilst compiling the Malcolm Arnold catalogue-to exclude music written for brass bands. When I reached Gordon Jacob, shortly afterwards, that latter decision seemed eminently sensible :) If I had tried listing all the music Gordon Jacob wrote for brass bands I would probably still be on that composer today and would either have lost the will to live or at least to carry on cataloguing ;D ;D

Again-if I recall correctly-I reversed the decision on music for brass band when I was on the Walter Piston catalogue. After that, I tried to, reasonably consistently, list brass music unless (as with, for example, Roy Harris) there was just far too much of it.

So......Yes...there is inconsistency ::)   And...yes...I made arbitrary decisions. I know that along the way a number of members here and "elsewhere" have certainly rolled their eyes in horror/disgust/incomprehension at such arbitrariness.

The catalogues are what they are.....flawed definitely, incomplete definitely, inaccurate probably........but I know that they are better (in many cases) than you will find easily anywhere else on the net. So I remain-defiantly-proud of them and happy with what I have achieved :) :)

I wouldn't go quite as far as the late, lamented Edith Piaf in claiming "je ne regrette rien" ........but not far short of it ;D ;D

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: