The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 20, 2024, 08:41:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Canadian Composers

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canadian Composers  (Read 2054 times)
SerAmantiodiNicolao
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 08:55:05 pm »

From the limited amount of Canadian music I was able to explore in the days of LPs, I formed a distinct impression that there were more composers active in Quebec than the other provinces, or at the very least they were more performed or recorded. For a long while the only non-Québécois composer I heard was Somers. I don't suppose it was a very well-formed impression, but I do notice a lot of French names in the posts here.

I've fun into a fair number from other provinces.  Ontario, mostly, but I can think offhand of two or three that are associated with others.  (Jean Coulthard comes to mind, and Violet Archer - I think both were British Columbians?)

I've never cared much for Somers, honestly.  I have a few things of his on CD, and have never been able to form a cohesive impression of his work from them.  My sense is that he never really had much of a cohesive style...the things I've heard have been awfully scattershot.  Some are quite stringent, a couple are quite lyrical, some are quite folksy - they're all over the map.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 11:45:12 am »

From the limited amount of Canadian music I was able to explore in the days of LPs, I formed a distinct impression that there were more composers active in Quebec than the other provinces, or at the very least they were more performed or recorded. For a long while the only non-Québécois composer I heard was Somers. I don't suppose it was a very well-formed impression, but I do notice a lot of French names in the posts here.

I've fun into a fair number from other provinces.  Ontario, mostly, but I can think offhand of two or three that are associated with others.  (Jean Coulthard comes to mind, and Violet Archer - I think both were British Columbians?)

I've never cared much for Somers, honestly.  I have a few things of his on CD, and have never been able to form a cohesive impression of his work from them.  My sense is that he never really had much of a cohesive style...the things I've heard have been awfully scattershot.  Some are quite stringent, a couple are quite lyrical, some are quite folksy - they're all over the map.
Coulthard is a fine composer and she was raised in BC. I think her music should be played more often.
I think the problem with Canadian music is perhaps much of it is not memorable, and you have to wade thru so much mediocrity to find the gems.
But they are there. Hetu(not concerti) , Forsyth, Coulthard and Heather Schmidt are composers of much merit.

Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 04:43:14 pm »

Heather Schmidt is really a composer that needs far more attention.
Her two Piano Concertos are good concertos (I prefer the 1st, sofar). Also her 1st Symphony kept my attention.

Than there is also the work of Sophie Eckhardt-Gramatté, I love her 2nd Symphony 'Manitoba'.
Her Piano Sonatas are well-build IMO, as is her Sinfonia Concertante for Piano & Orchestra.

Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2014, 03:03:34 am »

Heather Schmidt is really a composer that needs far more attention.
Her two Piano Concertos are good concertos (I prefer the 1st, sofar). Also her 1st Symphony kept my attention.

Than there is also the work of Sophie Eckhardt-Gramatté, I love her 2nd Symphony 'Manitoba'.
Her Piano Sonatas are well-build IMO, as is her Sinfonia Concertante for Piano & Orchestra.

A third H Schmidt piano concerto (no 2) is at the CBC web site, 1 and 4 are on UT.
These are very fine works..
Report Spam   Logged
chill319
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 12:07:37 am »

In the 1970s I was quite taken with the writings of  R Murray Schafer and considered him a Canadian Cage. In the 1980s I was quite taken with the works of Colin McPhee, particularly the two symphonies ('Tabu Tablan' and #2) and considered him a forgotten genius.
Report Spam   Logged
musiclover33
Level 2

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 12:51:24 pm »

Concerning Heather Schmidt, I really like her orchestral works. I've a recording of her "Piano Concerto No. 3" for piano and String orchestra (2003), taken from the live recording of the premiere. I can upload it, if you want - it would make available her first four piano concertos. A shame I don't have her piano concertos No. 5 (2009) neither No. 6 (2010)...
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2014, 10:21:08 am »

Concerning Heather Schmidt, I really like her orchestral works. I've a recording of her "Piano Concerto No. 3" for piano and String orchestra (2003), taken from the live recording of the premiere. I can upload it, if you want - it would make available her first four piano concertos. A shame I don't have her piano concertos No. 5 (2009) neither No. 6 (2010)...

yes, no 3 would be most welcome, can we look for it?
Report Spam   Logged
musiclover33
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2014, 10:36:14 am »

I just uploaded it :

Heather Schmidt (b. 1975)
Piano Concerto No. 3, for piano and String orchestra (2003)
Pianist : Heather Schmidt
Manitoba Chamber Orchestra
conducted by Roy Goodman
I- Fantasie
II- Shimmering
III- Allegro energico e brillante

Live recording of the premiere.

https://www.mediafire.com/?r6pa649kh23o2oa
Report Spam   Logged
Patrick Murtha
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2014, 07:06:22 pm »

In the 1970s I was quite taken with the writings of  R Murray Schafer and considered him a Canadian Cage. In the 1980s I was quite taken with the works of Colin McPhee, particularly the two symphonies ('Tabu Tablan' and #2) and considered him a forgotten genius.

My notes on Schafer:

hh.   Since 1966, the Canadian composer R. Murray Schafer (born 1933) has been at work on an enormous cycle of post-modern musical theater works known as Patria, somewhat based in Native American mythology, which today consists of a prologue, ten main parts, and an epilogue
i.   Many of the works are site-specific (“The audience sits on the shore while the ritual is performed on the lake in canoes”)
ii.   The Epilogue is entirely a participant work and takes a week to “perform”!
iii.   Part 3, The Greatest Show, involves the music from Parts 1 and 2 being “pulverized and performed at an outdoors carnival at night throughout various tents and booths. The fairgrounds are destroyed at the conclusion.”
1.   It was adapted into a film version in 1989
iv.   Schafer: “[Patria] creates a universe so saturated with information that information becomes a blur, so full of communication that communication withers.”
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2014, 07:13:36 am »

I just uploaded it :

Heather Schmidt (b. 1975)
Piano Concerto No. 3, for piano and String orchestra (2003)
Pianist : Heather Schmidt
Manitoba Chamber Orchestra
conducted by Roy Goodman
I- Fantasie
II- Shimmering
III- Allegro energico e brillante

Live recording of the premiere.

https://www.mediafire.com/?r6pa649kh23o2oa

So grateful for this upload..Thanks!!
Now 1,2,3 and 4 are available and all are fine works(not sure which I like best, but no 1 holds a slight preference)
(And Yes, nitpickers and gnatpickers, I know it's "concerti")
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2014, 08:22:56 am »

I also did not care much for Somer's music and I have heard plenty as he was quite prolific. But sometimes prolific composers yield to public demand
to produce sensationalized and less inspired music. (Stravinsky comes to mind)
My distaste changed when I heard his 2nd and 3rd piano concertos (CMC) as they were fine pieces.
Other worthy pieces were Little Suite for Sring Orchestra,North Country Suite and Lament and Primeval.
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2014, 02:48:11 pm »

I will go with "concertos" unless I suddenly can only speak Italian. (or if it's French--concerts, Spanish--conciertos, Russian--концерты.....) As to Canadian composers I enjoy some of the later generation's music a lot, Patrick Carrabre's music is strong and ironically tuneful, Kelly Marie Murphy is a good friend of Heather Schmidt's and composes tonally, vigorously and comes up with wonderful names for her pieces. I especially like the  piano and orchestra piece "Hammer of the Sorceress" (on YouTube). Brian Current writes wonderful prize-winning stuff. Also, as to the mid-20th century folks, lately I listened again to several of Barbara Pentland's orchestral works, all rich and interesting. I haven't found any Canadian composers to hate yet, actually. I agree with the assessment earlier of Robert Turner's music, too. And one of my favorites is Sophie-Carmen Eckhardt-Gramatte, who could not be more cosmopolitan, yet settled in the middle of Canada. Years ago, before Internet and CDs her Foundation kindly sent me piece after piece on cassette that I still treasure, even if some of her music seems a bit awkward to me. Healey Willan's Piano Concerto and choral works are superb, also. Thanks, Jim
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2014, 04:42:32 pm »

Ah, the Healey Willan PC...a splendid work :) Quite Rachmaninoffian but with a touch of Elgarian nobility. Beautiful slow movement, especially :)
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2014, 05:50:03 am »

I will go with "concertos" unless I suddenly can only speak Italian. (or if it's French--concerts, Spanish--conciertos, Russian--концерты.....) As to Canadian composers I enjoy some of the later generation's music a lot, Patrick Carrabre's music is strong and ironically tuneful, Kelly Marie Murphy is a good friend of Heather Schmidt's and composes tonally, vigorously and comes up with wonderful names for her pieces. I especially like the  piano and orchestra piece "Hammer of the Sorceress" (on YouTube). Brian Current writes wonderful prize-winning stuff. Also, as to the mid-20th century folks, lately I listened again to several of Barbara Pentland's orchestral works, all rich and interesting. I haven't found any Canadian composers to hate yet, actually. I agree with the assessment earlier of Robert Turner's music, too. And one of my favorites is Sophie-Carmen Eckhardt-Gramatte, who could not be more cosmopolitan, yet settled in the middle of Canada. Years ago, before Internet and CDs her Foundation kindly sent me piece after piece on cassette that I still treasure, even if some of her music seems a bit awkward to me. Healey Willan's Piano Concerto and choral works are superb, also. Thanks, Jim

Have not heard Carrabre and Murphy, but I am familiar with the other Canadians you mention. Pentland has not been an easy listen for me. I'm not sure what I listened to, but I will try again when I sample Carrabre and Murphy. And Healey Wllan's memorable Symphony is a gem in the style of a pastoral RVW. Eckhardt-Gramatte is also a fine composer, her music seems to go in unexpected directions (for me), but always tonal one. I have little interest in Schaffer or Viver.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2014, 09:16:33 am »

Shamus-
Thanks so much for the lead to Kelly-Marie Murphy's music. Listened to "And so be changed to lightning in the end" and it was a captivating and dramatic gem!! If the balance of her music is similar, this is a real find!! 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: