The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:27:47 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

"Soviet Composer" recordings on CD

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Soviet Composer" recordings on CD  (Read 394 times)
guest377
« on: January 08, 2014, 05:17:01 pm »

Did I miss something here...I see some references to a company called Soviet Composer that produced some CDs for sale Moscow and Minsk from about 2000 on?

Other than Russian Disc, I'm not aware of this company.... anyone else know anything?   

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 07:33:06 pm »

There was a Soviet publishing house called "Sovetsky Kompozitor" - founded in the 1970s with the primary goal of publishing the printed works of soviet composers, but with a subsidiary arm issuing recordings on vinyl.  (One reference says that it was the publishing/recording arm of the Union Of Composers, but I have never heard any mention of this at the Union of Composers - which doesn't mean to say the info is/was wrong at the time of publication).

Apparently it was unwillingly amalgamated with some other publishing and recording companies (primarily of an educational nature, it seems?) in the 1980s, but was then 'unhitched' once more. It appears to have hit the buffers when the USSR imploded.

I did a quick look on the Russian-language internet, but nothing about a contemporary restart of the company seems to appear. It could be that someone revived the old company from legal abeyance to capitalise on its back catalogue earnings potential?  (Copyrights, recording rights, etc, which may have slid into silence when the company was mothballed?). Or - as very popularly happens now in Russia - someone has speculatively opened up a fresh enterprise under a name that still has an endearing nostalgic bloom from the good-ol' days, in the hope of keying into the demand for retro and nostalgia?  :)  But if they have - they're doing it very quietly ;)
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 07:49:35 pm »

Thanks Neil...
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: