The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:19:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Symphonic Wish List

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Symphonic Wish List  (Read 106 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: January 10, 2014, 04:47:27 pm »

As I have written before I think, around three years ago-before I joined "another site" and then, more happily, this one- I had a wish list of around 180+ symphonies I wanted on either cd or in any recording format. That list has now positively shrivelled down to:

Australia: Malcom Williamson Nos. 2, 3, 4, 6
Brazil: Camargo Guarnieri No.7 (if it exists ???)
Denmark: Paul von Klenau Nos. 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9;  Knugage Riisager Nos. 4, 5; Rudolph Simonsen Nos. 3, 4
Estonia: Kalko Raid Nos. 3, 4
Finland: Jouni Kaipainen No.4
Germany: Gunther Raphael No.1 (if it exists ???)
Netherlands: Cornelis Dopper Nos. 4, 5
Norway: Halvor Haug Nos. 4, 5; Ragnar Soderlind Nos. 1, 7, 9
Poland: Grazyna Bacewicz: Nos. 1, 2
Russia: Gavril Popov No.4; Maximilian Steinberg Nos. 3, 5; Boris Tishchenko No.8; Mieczyslaw Weiberg Nos. 9,11, 13, 15, 21
Sweden: Edvin Kallstenius Nos. 1, 3; Erland von Koch No.1
Ukraine: Valentin Silvestrov No.8
United Kingdom: Edgar Bainton No.1; Stanley Bate No.2; Arthur Butterworth Nos. 6, 7; Arnold Cooke Nos. 2, 6; John Gardner No.2; Iain Hamilton No.1; Alun Hoddinott No.1;
        John McCabe No.6 (Symphony on a Pavane); Anthony Milner No.3; Robert Still Nos. 1, 2; William Wordsworth No.6
United States: David Diamond No.11; Vittorio Giannini No.1

That reduces the total to a mere 57 :)

I am well aware that the two Riisager symphonies are due from Dacapo next month and that the same company is planning to record the von Klenau 9th, that CPO has promised us all the Kallstenius symphonies and MAY give us the remaining two Simonsen, that the Weinberg will, hopefully come from either Chandos or Naxos.

I also appreciate that there are some of these symphonies which have never even been performed(eg the two Robert Still, the Gardner 2nd, the Wordsworth 6th, one or other of the Williamson) and that there may be some doubt about the very existence of some, eg the Dopper (although I have removed those which I know are really missing, like the Villa-Lobos 5th).

I further realise that I COULD have much augmented my original list by adding composers like Niels Viggo Bentzon or Sven-Erik Tarp or Johann Nepomuk David (coming from CPO) or a whole number of Czech and Russian composers, for example, and that there are, literally, hundreds more that might be added.

But sticking with that original wishlist I am struck by the manner in which it has shrunk-mainly through the generosity of other music-lovers :)

I really envy those young members who will probably (and hopefully) live long enough to see only a tiny handful of these symphonies remaining totally unavailable in any format.
I just hope that I can live long enough to get many more out of that previously long list :)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: