The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 16, 2024, 03:24:43 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Marmite

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marmite  (Read 3108 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2019, 06:45:32 pm »

Gosh,yes? Five years! I must admit;looking at this thread,I was amazed that Dundonnell has never tasted Marmite! :o ;D But then again,Ive never tasted Nutella. And I'm not sure I want to?!! ::) ;D Incidentally,I rather admire someone for resisting a product. It shows fortitude!! In my case,I was,what has been called,a "Marmite baby"! My mother fed it to me,when I was little;and,presumably,I enjoyed it?! (I hardly think my late,mother would have force fed it,to me?!!)

I seem to remember there was some short lived,controversy,some years ago;when a school tried to ban Marmite,because of,what was perceived as,a high salt level! Now,I don't know whether there is any truth in that? When I was a child,I remember being told that,there was yeast in Marmite;which,apparently,meant it was good for you! Anyway,I believe the school quickly backed down,after a furious backlash from angry Marmite lovers;and one of their favourite foods was quickly reinstated!

Marmite also made national headlines,more recently;when there was a dispute between Tesco and Unilever;who had hiked up the price of some of their products. Marmite being one of them. I remember listening to a news bulletin,informing me that some worried consumers had been stockpiling jars in lieu of a Marmite crisis;which was referred to,rather unimaginatively (I thought) as Marmitegate! This between items on the Middle East and people dying!! Didn't it occur to any of these people,that there are other stores,besides Tesco?!!  I must admit,I did get a little worried,myself;as I love the stuff! It's also very economical;despite the initial outlay,because it has such a strong taste that a little goes a very long way! Which is good news for paupers,like me!  I remember staying with my father,recently,and finding to my horror that he'd stocked up with a supermarket brand,instead of the bone-fide product! I had to explain to him that Marmite is not like any old product. It's a 'concoction';and you can't just imitate it! Marmite has a very distinctive taste! I did try eating the Tesco brand,for a while. It was runnier and saltier;but I kept telling myself that it wasn't that bad,and I was probably saving myself some money,since it was cheaper!! Imagine my delight,when I discovered that,despite the fact that the Tesco jar looked the same size,it actually had less Marmite inside it!! Finally,I had a good reason to eat the more expensive,branded product!! :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: